The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ask about coilover convertion kit review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

ask about coilover convertion kit review

I need information about :
    1. Coilover sleeves on ebay $79
    2. Ground control coilover sleeves $400

Could someone already used these item post a review about it?
    I dont think someone should judge by its price. I need someone already use it on their 8th gen to share about how it fits their shocks and how does it feel compare to stocks springs.
    number 1 is very tempting for its price. It is really cheap.
    But unfortunetly i lived in Indonesia and the cost for the shipping cost more than the products price..

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

The Ground Control sleeves are crap, I can't imagine something less than 1/4 the price doing anything useful. You will still need dampers after that to make any kind of usable set up. The sleeves tend to have massive coil bind issue's and rub on things that they shouldn't. Save your money for a good set of drop springs and dampers, or a real set of coilovers.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

have you use ground control Kit?
    In their website it wrotes that it has eibach spring inside.
    and also it is not cheap. Because it comes with spring only.
    Indonesia Galant Racing Club

you're better off getting a spring/shock combo than using coilover sleeves. ride is harsh....very harsh, you will end up blowing your struts because they aren't valved correctly for sleeves and the drop you will do. even with a reputable spring they provide. it works on Hondas for some odd reason but not on galants...that's the truth. I say save a lil more money and just get a true adjustable coilover setup. it maybe expensive but I can almost bet that if you get sleeves, youll end up throwing them away a few months later. worst case scenario, buy a set of blown coilovers, rebuild them and do a Swift spring upgrade. upgrading car parts is going to be expensive no matter what and that includes paying a lot for shipping. trust me I know, ive probably blown 50k on parts for my cars, if you want something bad, youll pay ridiculous shipping prices.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    you're better off getting a spring/shock combo than using coilover sleeves. ride is harsh....very harsh, you will end up blowing your struts because they aren't valved correctly for sleeves and the drop you will do. even with a reputable spring they provide. it works on Hondas for some odd reason but not on galants...that's the truth. I say save a lil more money and just get a true adjustable coilover setup. it maybe expensive but I can almost bet that if you get sleeves, youll end up throwing them away a few months later. worst case scenario, buy a set of blown coilovers, rebuild them and do a Swift spring upgrade. upgrading car parts is going to be expensive no matter what and that includes paying a lot for shipping. trust me I know, ive probably blown 50k on parts for my cars, if you want something bad, youll pay ridiculous shipping prices.
    thats very good advice bro... thank u very much..
    i decided to buy aftermarket spring. Im thinking of espelir.
    can anybody give me the difference of all aftermarket spring? Dont mention megan lowering kit. Bcause we dont have it in my country.
    fyi im using 18" rims. offset front 8.75 back 9.75
    and 225/45 tyres

Can you get anything by Tein? They make a very good lowering spring for the platform.

I have not used GC sleeves, but I've been around enough to have seen all the issue's on multiple platforms from the design.

Basically a sleeve style is useless unless it totally encapsulates the damper and uses a cartridge style damper to make it all work. Since our design does not have that its best to either go for a ground up designed coilover or a spring and damper set up that has been covered here before. KYB AGX or Koni yellow dampers work very well with lowering springs, if you want to go lower you need to set aside the money for a higher quality coilover set.

I have used tein coilover and it is very stiff and not good for normal driving.. make my back hurts..
    i just been offered GAB coilover. For $800. Do anyone used it before. As far as im looking. The review of this coilover is not bad..

Most coilover sets will be stiff and Tein basics run stiffer than the SS ive ridden in. The only one ive seen so far from experience that have been comfortable are KW Variant 3 but I have a feeling the mini reservoir has something to do with the comfort. BC racing has something similar now in their ER series coilover and are cheaper but youre still looking at paying 1500-1800. I don't have any experience with GAB's products but they are well known. I would check with other platforms and see what most owners say about them. You are running a taller tire than most of us with 18's so you are getting a lil more comfort. 800 for a coilover set is a good price, but you wont get the same kind of comfort you would get from spring/shock setup. If youre solely looking for comfort, no average 1k coilover will beat a spring/shock combo unless youre willing to spend the money to get some upper tier coilovers like KW/Penske/Ohlins
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune

Tein and most cheaper brand coilovers have a very short damper stroke, so basically not as much available movement to soak up bumps, so they run much stiffer spring rates. Look for damper travel, the softer set ups will have more stroke. Sounds like you need a good spring and strut set up though.

My Tein basic coils were stiff, no dampening adjustment either, had to run the stock hats too. Safe to say never again for me. Now the set I run are from BC Racing loving them on the streets....

Thanks a lot for all the input..
    i have 2 option now. I have bought the kyb excell G shocks a few days ago and havent been installed yet.
    1. Use the kyb shocks and buy lowering kit. Hnr, espelir, eibach or else
    2. Sell my kyb and get the GAB coilover for 800.

Option 1 will much cheaper.
    i still dont know how low that it can go for any brand lowering kit.
    as i know espelir is the lowest. It can get us 3 inch down from standard high. But i dont know how low i need my car Since its not the standard height anymore.

I don't understand this.

You guys are cool with cheap/low quality coilovers (BC, Megan, Tein Basic, etc.) but not with Ground Control sleeves using Eibach springs? The issue with the sleeves...is the damper itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    I don't understand this.

You guys are cool with cheap/low quality coilovers (BC, Megan, Tein Basic, etc.) but not with Ground Control sleeves using Eibach springs? The issue with the sleeves...is the damper itself.
    IMO as drones mentioned, those setups work for Honda, they just do. I couldn't be happier with BCs. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Megan.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    IMO as drones mentioned, those setups work for Honda, they just do. I couldn't be happier with BCs. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Megan.
    They're definitely in the same league...considering they're made in the same factory by the same people haha. BC's are like the old Kia Sephias with Megans acting as the Rio.

And GC's work on many various platforms...the Galant just has zero quality shock options.

I don't understand this.

I do not advocate the use of low quality products, I know some have had good luck but there is no way I would run BC, or Megan. The saving grace of the Tein is that the basics run a twin tube damper, which is much easier and cheaper to produce. Much of the quality in a damper comes from the damper itself, twin tubes aren't ideal for high performance applications, but are much better than a low quality monotube. I really don't recommend coilovers on a daily driver at all. The nature of them makes them very susceptible to weathering and dirt contamination.

I've seen coilover sleeves from several different makes that have done things like fit too loose and wear holes in the dampers. The coils bind on one side causing the spring to bend sideways as it compresses, which makes it rub on the sleeve to the point where large sections of threads wear off. Or my favorite had a spring that was too short for the damper travel and caused major issues with things crashing together.

Cheap parts suck, pay attention to what you are getting. A good spring/strut combo will beat the pants off a shitty coilover set on the track every day of the week.

I think this guy will find his best combo with a eibach or tein spring and a KYB GR-2, if he doesn't want an overly stiff ride. Between the AGX and the Koni Yellow the Koni will be faster on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    I do not advocate the use of low quality products, I know some have had good luck but there is no way I would run BC, or Megan. The saving grace of the Tein is that the basics run a twin tube damper, which is much easier and cheaper to produce. Much of the quality in a damper comes from the damper itself, twin tubes aren't ideal for high performance applications, but are much better than a low quality monotube. I really don't recommend coilovers on a daily driver at all. The nature of them makes them very susceptible to weathering and dirt contamination.

I've seen coilover sleeves from several different makes that have done things like fit too loose and wear holes in the dampers. The coils bind on one side causing the spring to bend sideways as it compresses, which makes it rub on the sleeve to the point where large sections of threads wear off. Or my favorite had a spring that was too short for the damper travel and caused major issues with things crashing together.

Cheap parts suck, pay attention to what you are getting. A good spring/strut combo will beat the pants off a shitty coilover set on the track every day of the week.

I think this guy will find his best combo with a eibach or tein spring and a KYB GR-2, if he doesn't want an overly stiff ride. Between the AGX and the Koni Yellow the Koni will be faster on the track.
    Isn't the Yellow just an insert for the 3g/8g?

I think more of the problem is, he wants a comfortable ride but with a drop of 3 inches or more. if he wants both, then he has to pay the price since that will be the coilover option and the cheapest ive seen from a quality product is kw variant3. I don't know how much they are for our platform but im sure they will average between 2-2.5k for that. If he doesn't want to spend that much then he has to trade one for the other. Getting a spring/shock combo wont give him the drop, but it will save his back, anything more than 1.5 inch drop he's gonna blow shocks anyways and spend more cash. so basically he has to make a choice, its either his back or his car looking low. if he wants both, then time to start saving your pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    I think more of the problem is, he wants a comfortable ride but with a drop of 3 inches or more. if he wants both, then he has to pay the price since that will be the coilover option and the cheapest ive seen from a quality product is kw variant3. I don't know how much they are for our platform but im sure they will average between 2-2.5k for that. If he doesn't want to spend that much then he has to trade one for the other. Getting a spring/shock combo wont give him the drop, but it will save his back, anything more than 1.5 inch drop he's gonna blow shocks anyways and spend more cash. so basically he has to make a choice, its either his back or his car looking low. if he wants both, then time to start saving your pennies.
    If he wants a 3" drop, I don't know anything that will get him there, especially not KW. From what I've seen out of KW c/o's on other platforms, he'd be fortunate to get to lowering spring heights with those. I can count on one hand the number of Galants that were low, so I don't really know if anything will give him the ride height he's looking for.

Quick reply please.. i just been offered
    tein basic flex wagon gtr43-12931 ec5w-r 22002
    for 800.. it was used for 8th gen. And still new because the owner just buy it for car contest and never used it in the street. From what it looks still like a new stuff.. but when i run it in google search. It says didnt match any document. So i try to find basic flex for ec5w and it comes with discontinued product with gsr42 code. Why is the code not same? Im confused.. any help?

If he wants a 3" drop, I don't know anything that will get him there, especially not KW. From what I've seen out of KW c/o's on other platforms, he'd be fortunate to get to lowering spring heights with those. I can count on one hand the number of Galants that were low, so I don't really know if anything will give him the ride height he's looking for.
    Kw's body length are already shorter than the stock shock/spring length, so at it highest settings you're already lower than a stock setup. That and it's advertised 1.5-2 inch drop will get the 3 inch drop. It might be different on some platforms but I highly doubt it. The 3 cars I've installed them on have been. E92, f10, and isf platform.

White shark, can't help you on that. You have to contact tein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast