The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Looking to get a new hood

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Looking to get a new hood

So I'm gonna need a new hood here soon and was wondering where's a good place to get an aftermarket one? I'm in southern Cali if that makes a difference.

Anyone know of any hidden gems where I can score a deal?

The current hood latches but it's bent and is driving me nuts!

Experienced TGC Member
    If you're looking for a monster or evo hood look into extremedimension.com. They are local.

Experienced TGC Member
    If you're looking for a stock one I have couple laying around.

Good looking out. I'll be going with a Monster and a stock actually. I plan on swooping up another Galant this time next year and will want to swap the hood over.

Are they primed or painted and how much/location. I probably can't get out to you for a couple of weeks, maybe next week but it depends on my work schedule.

Experienced TGC Member
    Pm'd iamjparkinson

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    If you're looking for a stock one I have couple laying around.
    Hi Coconut,
    that catch my attention,
    what do you mean
    "I have couple laying around"?

coz I'm looking for a replacement, ideally in silver

Where do you live?

I have an addiction to 8G's

My 8G and I are in Idaho now,
    how much would it cost?

Shipping alone will be like $130-$150 because of the weight and size I'm guessing. Then it would be on top of whatever coconut would sell it for if he will.

If you can get to a yard and find one, you could pick it up for like $50 and have it painted for about $100 at a shop. You can find you color code online or look near the passenger side firewall, you can buy paint for like $20 and it'll be enough to cover a hood. That would be the cheapest route.

Coconut lives near me so going to him is my cheapest route, plus he is going to sell me some rear disk brakes and swap out the OE drums

Also research yards in your state and then look for special days when they will give you up to 50% off for picking up a part that day. Those are the golden days to hit up a yard

I assume that will at least need a truck to get it done...
    and the challenge is there is not many yards around my area, the closest one is probably like 400 miles away in Salt Lake City,
    really wish to find a good deal >< AHHHHH!!! Ah ha, sorry for my craziness, I've been dreaming to fix my 8G for really long, too bad I'm just a poor student

Ya weight is a killer on shipping costs. Even buying a new OE hood is like $175ish and shipping is like $130, almost costs as much to ship it as it does to buy it. You can find small yards all over the place, sometimes there not listed or at least that easy to find. Try to find some car forums where people are fixing up cars and are from your area, maybe they can help you find a hidden yard.

You could collect cans and bottles, Craiglist some stuff or see about doing one of those sign spinning gigs for a weekend. I know that's not going to be easy being a student, but look to do it during a spring break or something, once you get that hood your whole year will be that much better lol.

Good luck though, I hope you get one.

Go introduce yourself in the right area on this forum if you haven't already and ask if anyone is in your area or know of any yards. You never know who may join this forum, someone may be a city over with some news you are looking for.

Thanks iamjparkinson, good call, I have just found a place a bit closer, asking for $150, do you think it's reasonable?

I shall go introduce myself :)

Both my local LKQ yards list hoods without the hinges for $50.25. Go on one of their special days (like 4th of July) and you can have one for under $30 with tax. Something to think about. Look at their website to see if they have one close to you, just give them a call before you hit the road.
    http://car-part.com is also great tool to search yards.

yay! found one,
    I'm confirming with the recycle place, hopefully getting it done soon, thx for the advices, helped a ton

Quote Originally Posted by yhkwok View Post
    yay! found one,
    I'm confirming with the recycle place, hopefully getting it done soon, thx for the advices, helped a ton
    Congrats, glad to hear everything is looking on the up and up