The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: XXR/Fitment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

XXR/Fitment

So XXR just redid their website (link below) and it's très dope. I've been planning on getting the 522s for years but those have been replaced by the 551s. Anyway, those have now gone out the window in favor of the newly released 550s, I also like the 553s but honestly Oddball just ain't that aggressive. In the interest of saving $$$ I plan on pre-ordering the bronze 550s (link below) and I need a little help with fitment. From what I understand by reading a few threads on offset I should be able to fit the 18x8.75 +36mm offsets without rubbing or cutting the fenders. But as anyone I wanna fit the most aggressive setup I can without sacrificing drivability, so if I went with the +19mms, would that cause any issues? FYI Oddball's an 03 LS V6.

Also, what do yall think about all the new styles?

XXR's site
    550s on NLM
    GaB

They're neat for replica wheels just long as you don't hit a 3 inch deep pot hole. Most of the stance out Galant you see on Facebook rock these (because the wheels are worth 1/4 the price of the KBB value) so money isn't a primary factor in these.

Waiting for Mr. Wheel Pro Cody to chime in on this.

He will be in absolute disgust.

He's welcome to his opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GaB

These wheels suck.

All XXR suck.

Not even because knock-offs (which most of these aren't or if they are...they're knockoffs of stuff that sucks and that I've never heard of)

As for the sizing, have fun making them look decent. The sizing is aggressive enough where you'll likely have substantial amounts of poke at stock camber, if you add a good bit of negative camber and the car is not low enough.....it'll still look dorky; and with how few Galants I've seen that were low enough to pull off a 'flush' look, I can't imagine you'll be the first if you're cheaping out in order to attain some ugly wheels.

On the topic of the 550 & 553, they're just ugly. Neither will look good at all on an 8g (or any other car for that matter). Finish quality will be poor (as it is on all XXR) and yeah, they suck.

Hope I didn't disappoint y'all.

Are you Cody?

GaB

I am referred to by that moniker, yes.

Coming from someone with equally strong yet substantially less loud opinions, I disagree. Do you have any advice for fitment?

GaB

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Coming from someone with equally strong yet substantially less loud opinions, I disagree. Do you have any advice for fitment?

What do you disagree with?

That XXR are generally low quality? Have you ever owned/handled a wheel produced by Advan/BBS/Ray's? If not, trust me, they're worlds nicer.

That the fitment will look horrible? You haven't looked at enough 8g's that are 'flush' with 3" of wheel gap and 1" of poke.

I recommend a conservative set-up, the 8g is simply not well suited for going low.

Cody has some good points. I am one to be the first to say who cares what wheel brand you buy as long as it works, but XXR is not one of the wheel brands I'd recommend simply because if you look at a cracked XXR, you will see how poor the casting is. It is not strong at all and very cheaply made. I've had American racing wheels, rotas, works, 5zigens, etc. I also have experience with literally beating the shit out of these wheels on the daily due to all my friends drifting all summer every summer. You will snap an xxr in half on a rumble strip and a volk, work, enkei will just maybe chip the paint.

If you pick up an xxr in one hand and pick up a work wheel in the other you will feel the quality in just your finger tips. The way the spokes feel the xxr has a slightly sharper edge (bad casting/mold/production) the works will feel solid in your hand.

Even my beloved rotas feel much worse compared to my 5 zigen FN01RC. I had a BRAND NEW set of grids vs a VERY USED set of FN01RC.

Don't even get me started on MB Battles. They are very good looking wheels and very affordable. But for how heavy those motherfuckers are they sure bend easy.

I'm not in any way saying that buying the more expensive wheels is better than buying the more affordable sets but I just wanted to state the differences and why they are priced the way they are.

As far as stancing out a galant. (I'm not gonna call it aggressive because aggressive to me is not stretched rubber band tires on poor offset wheels I'm thinking more like meaty functional rubber on a functional width wheel), you may need to play with removing the collars, using shorter springs, pulling/rolling the fenders, etc. it can be done but I have yet to see it executed properly. Even my car needed a bit more lower ride height up front back in my "stanced" days. Also the galant is a "face down ass up" kinda car so they tend to look good with a "leveled" height.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

^Actually got wheels for Ms. Blue, some cheap Konigs. They're not knockoffs of anything and they're fairly light, they'll do the job of getting her to school/work and back home just fine. I'd rather spend more money on nice tires (BFG Sport Comp 2's in this case) than expensive wheels if I can only have one or the other.

I'd buy used high-end wheels for my own car, but for her I'd rather have something that's never potentially been knocked out of round, faced any stresses/abuse from previous owners who just didn't care/pay attention. I'll let you guys know what I think when I've had a chance to really look them over.

I disagree that they're a low quality rim. They're a medium quality rim. You're holding them to racing standards, something I'm not doing.

I disagree that the fitment will look horrible. They don't need to sit 2" above the fender, they need to fill the wheel well more than stock rims do.

I agree with a conservative setup for a conservative purchase, I was just weighing my options.

GaB

@4g thanks for all that input. I assume XXRs were gravity cast cuz it's the cheapest method but seeing as how the industry is pushing for at least a light pressure casting for the standard and how they've made enough money to scale up and still make enough margin on each rim to sell for cheap, Ima say they're pressure cast now, all speculation though. Either way, even a gravity cast wheel is still strong, like I said I'm not racing. But I'll go somewhere and feel the wheels for myself and make a judgment, thanks for the tip.

As far as terminology goes, I'd say a step below stancing, I'm not altering the camber for appearance and I'm definitely not stretching the tires. Really I'm just buying rims. And no joke about face down, Mitsu caved a bit on some of the small aesthetic things IMO.

GaB

I disagree that they're a low quality rim. They're a medium quality rim. You're holding them to racing standards, something I'm not doing.

I disagree that the fitment will look horrible. They don't need to sit 2" above the fender, they need to fill the wheel well more than stock rims do.

I agree with a conservative setup for a conservative purchase, I was just weighing my options.

If XXR are medium quality, PLEASE tell me what a low quality wheel looks like.

I would put ROTAS on my car before XXR. And every person on this forum can easily tell you my feelings on replica wheels.

if youre going to stance your car out you need to either go all out or not at all. theres no real in between. I wont talk about wheels, but going +19 offset on our platform is going to kill your driveability. there is no way you can run that offset dropped and not on stretched tires without sacrificing your fenders, driveability and safety. you can try, but be prepared to spend money. just being honest, especially if this is your daily driver.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

I don't know what to tell you man. The way you're throwing out low quality implies that wheel failure is eminent. It's the same paranoia every forum's wheel guy fills the internet with. You hate less than $3000 wheels, I get it.

I'm really not interested in this argument, which is why I didn't ask what yall thought of the build quality. I just wanna know about fitment, which dronesurfboards just answered (thanks dude).

GaB

I'm really not interested in this argument, which is why I didn't ask what yall thought of the build quality.
    In the OP you sort of indirectly asked.

"What do you guys think"

I still wouldn't let it affect your decision if you're sold on the XXRs. I'm certain Cody isn't holding a gun to your head to go buy BBS. This is your car, you have to walk up to thus car everyday to get in it, you are the one looking at it, you are the one who will be seen in it.

I would take some time and browse members cars pictures and when you like one ask their fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post

"What do you guys think"

I still wouldn't let it affect your decision if you're sold on the XXRs. I'm certain Cody isn't holding a gun to your head to go buy BBS. This is your car, you have to walk up to thus car everyday to get in it, you are the one looking at it, you are the one who will be seen in it.

I would take some time and browse members cars pictures and when you like one ask their fitment.
    Like this one?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...wheel-thread**

hey i plan on getting xxr 522 for the vr4 this summer when i get some doe but mind you most of the reason is because you can pritty much double the prize when i get em

im sorry but i just dont care if they arent up to race quality because legally there isnt a place here that i can go above 90kmh
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post

"What do you guys think"

I did. I tried to word it to avoid responses not about style, but alas.

I've looked at a couple people's specific setups but the wheel I want only comes in 2 offsets, and it sounds like 1 won't work without stretching and cutting so I guess I've got my answer.

GaB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast