The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Couple of questions on the 5 speed swap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 58

Couple of questions on the 5 speed swap.

Ok, so i've got a couple questions about the 5 speed swap. First off, those of you that have successfully done this, how much did it cost total? How long did it take you to gather the parts? How long does it take to actually do it? And is it worth doing on my 8g ES that has almost 170k on it? Thanks

For the 4cylinder I spent a little under a stack. It took me about half a year to gather parts because I was shopping for the best price. It took me three weeks to complete because I had to wait for miscellaneous bolts and stuff.

My v6 cost me $800 and the last thing I need is a clutch and am planning on doing the job in a weekend.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I got my parts fairly quick and did the swap on a single day.

I was at a LKQ pick and pull. Came across an 01 3g GS.

Pulled the trans with everything that was available. Both cables, shifter, trans assembly, clutch and fly, pedals, clutch cylinders and lines paid 250 including taxes and cores.

I sneaked the ECU but didn't get the harness ends, my fault.

It didnt have the reverse light solenoid, the shift boot and knob, or the manual trans mount. Spent another 30 on the mount, I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts part time so I hooked myself up with the reverse light switch and clutch set, I basically swapped the yard one under someones existing warranty, its unethical and wrong, whatever.

Fluid from Red Line was around 75 off ebay, bought a new flywheel of which the yard one was used as a core, that was 50 bucks. Altogether 400. Did the swap in a day, it helps to have the right tools and to have everything you are gonna need.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I got my parts fairly quick and did the swap on a single day.

I was at a LKQ pick and pull. Came across an 01 3g GS.

Pulled the trans with everything that was available. Both cables, shifter, trans assembly, clutch and fly, pedals, clutch cylinders and lines paid 250 including taxes and cores.

I sneaked the ECU but didn't get the harness ends, my fault.

It didnt have the reverse light solenoid, the shift boot and knob, or the manual trans mount. Spent another 30 on the mount, I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts part time so I hooked myself up with the reverse light switch and clutch set, I basically swapped the yard one under someones existing warranty, its unethical and wrong, whatever.

Fluid from Red Line was around 75 off ebay, bought a new flywheel of which the yard one was used as a core, that was 50 bucks. Altogether 400. Did the swap in a day, it helps to have the right tools and to have everything you are gonna need.
    I remember a thread that listed all the parts for it so I'll have to find it. So do you think it'd be worth doing to my galant even though it's about to hit 170k?

Manual swap is always worth it IMO

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Manual swap is always worth it IMO
    I know it's worth it performance-wise, the thing is my parents think my car's too old and that it won't be worth it to spend that money because they think my car's gonna die any second lol.

My motor went 160k and boosted for 50k of it before I even took it apart to build it. And when I pulled the pistons out the cylinder walls looked brand new. The crosshatch from the factory was still defined and the pistons and bearings looked healthy. As Lon as your car was taken care of and maintained well, I have no doubt that motor will last even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by rezyy0 View Post
    I know it's worth it performance-wise, the thing is my parents think my car's too old and that it won't be worth it to spend that money because they think my car's gonna die any second lol.
    I have bought 8G's to use as dailys with more miles. Matter of fact my last 2 were 174k (had blown head gasket, fixed and sold, rsn like a damn champ) and this recent GTZ come up was at 193k pulls harder than any of the Gs I've had.

My first two, now owned by family members, are hitting 245k with no signs of stopping.

170k is just fine.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-21-2015 at 09:08 PM

Old? Mine turned 21 and pushing 300k on stock motor and trans lol.

Ok, so i've got a couple questions about the 5 speed swap. First off, those of you that have successfully done this, how much did it cost total? How long did it take you to gather the parts? How long does it take to actually do it? And is it worth doing on my 8g ES that has almost 170k on it? Thanks
    The cost of the parts depends on how much you can source the parts for. If you find a 5 speed eclipse at the junkyard you can pull all the parts in a day and install them on your car the next day. My swap took me a while, part of it was my fuel pump died during the swap and I didn't know it so when I went to start the car when I was done I had to problem solve why it wouldn't start.

Is it worth it? that depends on what your're looking for. It makes the car more fun to drive (IMO, I drive aggressive), more power at the wheels, and better gas mileage. Your Galant will still be slow, but faster than an auto.

They are correct, your galant is probably worth $1,500 to $2,500 and the swap might cost you $800 so thats a half to a third cost of your car. Plus if you're young and your parents still have control over you then you probably shouldn't mod your car.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Cost also depends on how far you want to go on it. I decided to have an LSD added while at it, that alone was another grand for example. If you don't think you'll keep the car for long, don't invest into it too much. Most of us here are beyond that point however, and look at it a little bit differently. We will all say it is worth it as the fun/dollar spent ratio is really good.
    You can have fun while keeping the swap simple. Shop around. If you go to LKQ on a holiday btw, they usually have a half off promotion, I used to plan my junkyard runs with that in mind. If you shop at Advanced for example, always search for a coupon first online.

If I only had you guys there to convince my parents haha! I'm not too young I'll be 19 in july but the car is mine and I can do what I want to it my parents just kinda frown upon it. I'm gonna try and save up for it cause I sorta know how to drive manual, but driving an auto is just boring. Thanks for all the advice though, I probably will end up doing this but hopefully someone in the Las Vegas area who's done it can give me a hand

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    The cost of the parts depends on how much you can source the parts for. If you find a 5 speed eclipse at the junkyard you can pull all the parts in a day and install them on your car the next day. My swap took me a while, part of it was my fuel pump died during the swap and I didn't know it so when I went to start the car when I was done I had to problem solve why it wouldn't start.

Is it worth it? that depends on what your're looking for. It makes the car more fun to drive (IMO, I drive aggressive), more power at the wheels, and better gas mileage. Your Galant will still be slow, but faster than an auto.

They are correct, your galant is probably worth $1,500 to $2,500 and the swap might cost you $800 so thats a half to a third cost of your car. Plus if you're young and your parents still have control over you then you probably shouldn't mod your car.
    Well I just looked up on car-parts.com for the '05 Eclipse transmission to get an idea of what the price would be and the lowest is $950. Does that seem a little high or is it just me? Lol.

That price is high, it looks like your car is a 8Ga which are years 1999 to 2001, you should get a transmission from a 3Ga eclipse from 2000 to 2001.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Experienced TGC Member
    It will be worth it, I picked up thatfreshkids G with 153k and still planning on doing the swap. Go on a half day sale and you will save tons of $$. I picked up the whole swap (everything) for $180.00 tax and cores included. They also gave another 25% off because it was raining that day. Make sure you get the flywheel bolts also. Good luck,

Talk to Underrated he lives out there.

You live 2 1/2 hrs away from here more or less, when and if ypu decide to get everything together hit me up and I would gladly help you install everything. Im spoiled I have a hoist in my garage. Makes things faster and easier.
    Last edited by coconut; 02-22-2015 at 01:03 PM

Well I just looked up on car-parts.com for the '05 Eclipse transmission to get an idea of what the price would be and the lowest is $950. Does that seem a little high or is it just me? Lol.
    That because they pull and ship it to you. To get the best deal you will have to go somewhere you pull it yourself. I know theres plenty if yards in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    That because they pull and ship it to you. To get the best deal you will have to go somewhere you pull it yourself. I know theres plenty if yards in Vegas.
    Well Black8GV6 said it should be a 2000-2001 eclipse, so I looked and those ones are alot cheaper, lowest I found currently is $350. I checked their inventory on some of the ones here in vegas, but I only found like maybe 2 eclipses all the way across town lol.

Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    It will be worth it, I picked up thatfreshkids G with 153k and still planning on doing the swap. Go on a half day sale and you will save tons of $$. I picked up the whole swap (everything) for $180.00 tax and cores included. They also gave another 25% off because it was raining that day. Make sure you get the flywheel bolts also. Good luck,

Talk to Underrated he lives out there.

You live 2 1/2 hrs away from here more or less, when and if ypu decide to get everything together hit me up and I would gladly help you install everything. Im spoiled I have a hoist in my garage. Makes things faster and easier.
    Cali or AZ? Yeah I'm definitely gonna need someone who has experience doing this, I probably couldn't if my life depended on it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    That price is high, it looks like your car is a 8Ga which are years 1999 to 2001, you should get a transmission from a 3Ga eclipse from 2000 to 2001.
    But would a 2005 fit? I just got an email saying he has a 2005 transmission in stock with all the other parts also.

Yes. 2000 to 2005 will work.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast