The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Student owner in Idaho

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Student owner in Idaho

Hi everyone,

I have been looking (and learning) here for a while,
    and just been reminded by iamjparkinson that I could introduce myself, so here I am.

I adopted my Galant from my sister since 2013, which she crashed the front of it probably a year before I got the car,
    she was not that into cars, but definitely a good choice on picking the 8G Galant, it's a 2000 ES, l4, pretty basic,
    and since I got the car I have been taking good care of it, car wash all the time, oil change on time, and sound system...
    (my sister don't have the code to unlock the OE receiver, so I don't even want to try fix it, just put the Walmart Pioneer bundle in last year...)

okay, more detail, I'm a student in Eastern Idaho, precisely BYU-Idaho, I'm an international student from Hong Kong,
    and I always like to work on the car, trying to do small projects, lately I have put in some goodies I got from Hong Kong, including a set of interior floor light,
    it's a Seiwa f250, liking it so far, I shall upload some pictures when I got more time (Mid-term is coming :( )
    Or feel free to visit my facebook album:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3ebe994d8f

Anyway, pleasure to meet all of you, and I hope I can get to know some "Galanters" around the area :)
    Last edited by yhkwok; 02-22-2015 at 10:52 PM

Welcome to TGC
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Experienced TGC Member
    Welcome!

Welcome to the club! Get some pics up soon.

Welcome!
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Welcome to TGC!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

wow, that was a scary long post...
    Last edited by yhkwok; 08-17-2015 at 06:28 PM

Okay, are you guys ready? I'm just setting up my Photobucket now, and I'm going to introduce you guys my G :)

The story starts in the beginning of 2013, the time I began studying in BYU Idaho, and the same time I inherit this G from my sister, who just graduated, she pretty much know nothing about car,
    so before I really met the car, all I know from her is, a Mitsubishi, something with the number 2000 (year), silver, a sedan... Lancer? or a 7g?
    When I finally know it's a 8g, I'm super excited for it, growing up the Galant has been one of those dream cars that I would love to "actually" have one (you know there's a different between dream car to drive and dream car to own).

Looks like photobucket is ready, and I just find out I actually used it before, there's a couple pictures of my father's Honda Stream, yes, the one in Hong Kong.

Our (me and my G) first met was in a Idaho snowy day like this:

Eventually, the snow melted:

as you can see, the front is pretty bad damaged from an accident before I got the car :( , but my budget did not allow me to fix it, so...

We went to the mall~

Yes, even the hubcaps are not matching...

One of the first thing I put on is the stereo, I found this set of BOSS value pack from Walmart, comes with a set of front speakers, I was satisfied (compare with the locked OEM radio):

Then in 2013 April, after a trip to Utah, driving in local town, the timing belt broke...

luckily it was in town driving, everything is still good except the belt, I think the car had about 145000 miles on it back then...

Before the summer came, got this set of hubcaps from Autozone:

Then it snow again... (DEC 2013):

Looks pretty good if it's just the back :P kinda elegant:

Then, I got really sick of that back blue light on the BOSS stereo, and found this set of Pioneer value pack from Walmart, comes with 2 front and 2 rear speakers,
    so, let's put them on!

Time to lose some weight :) for half hour maybe :P

Summer came again! (2014), before the annual family travel, let's make sure the brake is good, slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads from ebay:

Came across a thread talks about cabin air filter, so I checked it, super dirty, let's put a new one in, also before the family travel:

O yea, let's get a set of younger hubcaps for the trip up to Alberta!

Heading back south through Montana and the Grand Teton National Park:

After the trip, I went back to Hong Kong for my internship for the rest of 2014, miss the G so much... (though I got to drive the Stream a lot :D )
    O yes, before Hong Kong, we swing by Korea and Japan, where I got some goodies for the G, have some fun putting them on when I'm back Jan 2015
    PIAA 5000k headlight bulbs from Japan:

Haven't seen the G for couple months, first thing to do when I'm back is a deep car wash!

Man, I just love car wash, nice and lovely to be clean!

Way too many parking stickers...

Goodies from Japan:
    Japan Omamori of travel safe from Kinkaku-ji

Seiwa F256 power splitter with USB port and a touch control & Elecom 2A 1.2 meter USB cable
    http://www.seiwa-c.co.jp/products/pr....php?p_cd=F256
    http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/MPA-AMBS2U12BU.html

Seiwa F250 foot area light
    http://www.seiwa-c.co.jp/products/pr....php?p_cd=F250

Carmate KS260 - not sure what it actually do, but something with air, something with ION, suppose it helps the car not to smells bad...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Feel-Ion...cc31f2&vxp=mtr
    And a couple stickers.

Then, not sure why, but this year I'm just "so brave" in spending money, so I decided to do those bigger stuffs,
    start with the hood! 2 years, finally!!
    Before:

Installing... with the damage on the radiator support frame, it becomes a headache to my mechanics, I've been taking my G to them for services ever since 2013,
    they charge reasonable, and I'm really glad to know them :)

The old hood which serve the car for the past 15 years

After (yay!!):

(The machine car wash place break my hubcap :( , last time was the alignment place...)

Then, the strut is getting weak, plus making some noise, kinda annoying, and plus, I always want to lower the car, so here it is! Mid May Christmas!! Merry Christmas~
    (KYB struts and Tein S-tech springs, front and rear)

After:

And stickers~

After lowered the G, I chatted with my mechanic friend, and our conversation leads to a conclusion that the car needs a set of rims,
    then he took out a sample wheel from his store area, a Enkei J10!!

but the tire is 225/55R17, a bit too big :( the seller (not himself) wants it gone together, so I started looking for tire buyers...

Meanwhile, before the tire problem been taken care of, I've CF wrap the roof and the hood:

The old front tires are way worn due to an alignment problem before...

Eventually, I got that part figured out, and got the new tires and rims on right before the annual family travel!

And this year, the family is going south to Moab Utah!

Thanks to CHICAGO_ONE, a new grill has been installed today, and pictures will be taken soon...
    And Thank you, for everyone of your help and advice, this is where helps me keep the fire up in taking good care of my G :)

Experienced TGC Member
    Welcome and good looking transformation

Cool was wondering what took so long to get a grill...like 15-30 bucks at the jy? And no jdm parts back from Japan? Aww shucks...but still nice ride, amazing how much wheels can do. Keep it up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's another story, I've always want to do a JDM swap,
    and I did search for parts when I was in Hong Kong,
    got a Chrome JDM grill, it's here in my room now, but no luck with the headlights.

I did contacted with triggermauve for the bumper and headlights,
    but they're still over my budget, plus I don't have confidence on doing the cutting part when putting the JDM headlights on, and non of the mechanics around
    seems to be okay doing that for me :(
    I even got the light bulbs for it, H1, H7, and H3 all from Japan and never been opened, still sitting here in my room.

Great work man. The car is definitely moving along well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is, grill from CHICAGO_ONE installed, finally looks close to complete

Experienced TGC Member
    That looks good! Ive always liked that grill.

- - - Updated - - -

THAT LOOKS GOOD! IVE ALWAYS LIKED THAT GRILL.

Looks really great! Thanks for posting a huge amount of pictures. Please do take as many as you can! I'm impressed.