The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2.4L Timing Belt Advice

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

2.4L Timing Belt Advice

Hello all! I'm going to do my timing belt and oil pressure switch over spring break. (2.4L 4G64) It will be my first timing belt on an engine inside of a car, I did several years of auto class in high school. I'm a bit nervous, I've done work on my car before, but nothing as invasive as a timing belt (I've replaced radiator, rotors and pads, window regulator, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, drive belts, radio, footwell lights, etc). I've printed the pages from the repair manual, watched countless videos and tips for doing the belt on this engine but I'm still a bit nervous as I'm a broke college student and cant afford to mess up this car.

Q1: I'm getting a Dayco timing belt kit at Autozone, its $110 for all the belts and tensioners. I'm also getting a new actuator. Are these dayco kits any good? I would get mitsu but its soo expensive..

Q2: I'm mostly concerned with getting the tension on both belts right, any tips? I will be getting the tensioning tool that goes on the pulley.

Q3: In what order do I put the timing belt tensioners on? First fit the belt, then use the tool to get right tension on the timing belt tensioner, tighten it on and then put the new actuator on? Or do i put the new actuator on and then put the tensioner pulley on? Should I also take off the roller or should I just leave that on since the tensioner bolts on and off to it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Everything you've asked has been answered, jump on a PC and search the forums. Don't start a new thread, instead ask questions in the one relating to what you seek.

Trust me, if you had a question that wasn't answered a dozen times, then someone would have said something by now.

No offense but the things you learned in class are pretty basic for most people here. Hopefully it was just a high school class and not something you spent money on. Not trying to bash you or anything, so hopefully you don't take it that way.

Good luck though and welcome to TGC.

I have an addiction to 8G's

Quote Originally Posted by iamjparkinson View Post
    Everything you've asked has been answered, jump on a PC and search the forums. Don't start a new thread, instead ask questions in the one relating to what you seek.

Trust me, if you had a question that wasn't answered a dozen times, then someone would have said something by now.

No offense but the things you learned in class are pretty basic for most people here. Hopefully it was just a high school class and not something you spent money on. Not trying to bash you or anything, so hopefully you don't take it that way.

Good luck though and welcome to TGC.

I have an addiction to 8G's
    Thanks! I'll search again. No I didnt pay for the class, it was a 2 year long class in a magnet highschool that took 3 hours of every day. We had 5 lifts and a parking lot full of cars that were donated by local dealerships and junkyards to work on. We rebuilt engines (had like 30 honda 4cyl that everyone rebuilt), electrical diagnosis, charging, engine diagnosis, brakes, tires, AC, cooling etc. Local people would bring in their cars for work and we would fix them and just charge for parts. Pretty fun experience, except for the strict teacher and the tons of bookwork.