The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: amp hookup

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

amp hookup

Ok fellas....I installed an aftermarket head unit, upgraded my door and rear speakers & installed my amp, cap and subs in my 03 galant. My question is how do i hook up my big positive guage power wire to the battery. I noticed it has a funky terminal (plastic) with a 140 a? fuse on it. I was wanting to upgrade terminal but was told i couldnt. Doesnt look i can get a good enough contact the way it is. Also where can i run my power wire into the engine bay at? I see no grommets in the firewall i could use....Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

i'll take this one fellas =D

power wire is an easy one. if you post a picture of what your working with I could help you better but...more often than not a big ring terminal is what you'll use. if you have a 4awg wire you *can* use a "yellow" one but you have to take the collar off, use pliers to open it up, put the wire in, and clamp it back down

don't use the 140a fuse. that is almost certainly too big for whatever you're doing. you want a fuse that is just under whatever is on your amp. (add up all the numbers if you have more than one fuse in the amp) so if you have (3) 30a fuses your main line should be like 80a

you can "upgrade" anything you want, just depends on how much you know and how much you want to spend. worse case scenario you cut off whatever is there and replace it.

to run the power wire you may have to cut a hole in the firewall...this is pretty common on almost all cars. the most common spot is where/around the clutch master cylinder mounting spot. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT do it like pictured, but this is the spot im talking about:

if you are a manual, or may ever do the swap, then do it outside of that area just a bit

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Ive hooked up plenty of stereos and amps....my question is im wanting to upgrade the positive terminal. I see the fuse thats built into the oem terminal. its mostly plastic and the part that hooks up to the battery itself seems crappy. I know that fuse is for the alternator (i believe)....If i keep it, where should i hookup up battery feed to amp? All my stuff came out of my old car and i do have an inline fuse. I want a good connection. The 140a fuse i was talking about is built into the terminal
    Last edited by brianw74; 03-05-2015 at 11:20 AM

I used a terminal lug crimped to 8 gauge, and just installed it on the nut of the post clamp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

So just keep the terminal? Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by demond0d5 View Post
    more often than not a big ring terminal is what you'll use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My other car i had put a aftermarket terminal on it and fed all bare wires into it, including amp feed and tightened it down. Thanks for the help

Just use the 12mm nut on top. I've always used optima batteries which have dual post. The top is for the car and the positive side I used for the amp.

I have a similar issue, Fellas: my amp is "draining" my battery while the ignition is off. Right now, the wire is tucked in my fuse box. Before, I just had it directly bolted on to the positive terminal. So,
    what should I do to keep my amp from draining my battery While my car is off?

Quote Originally Posted by jsahadi78 View Post
    I have a similar issue, Fellas: my amp is "draining" my battery while the ignition is off. Right now, the wire is tucked in my fuse box. Before, I just had it directly bolted on to the positive terminal. So,
    what should I do to keep my amp from draining my battery While my car is off?
    Did you run a signal wire from your headunit to your amp?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Amps are easy to find a parasitic drain with. There is only 1 wire that matters...just make sure that tiny wire that goes into the "rem" port on the amp is going to a source that is only on when the car is on.

Most headunits have a spot for this, so most people run it there.

Personally mine is running off of the "radio" fuse in the fuse box.

Double check which fuse it's hooked up to. If you have a test light then use that to make sure it doesn't have power when the car is off. Can also use a volt meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk