The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car = Totaled.. I need advice..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    Started off the day Sanding, used an orbital sander and a Dremel with a wire brush attachment. Decided to fix some rust spots while I'm at it.

First layer before sanding

Second layer after sanding

Third and final layer after sanding

Had some trouble filling in to the body line, but its not bad

All taped up

Filler primer on and sanded

Getting ready to paint now, all is well so far!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Experienced TGC Member
    Looking good so far.

Any one have some suggestions on how to eliminate this issue? Not so concerned with the color difference its more the raised edge and coloration along the edge that bugs me..

Wet sanding perhaps.

But honestly I would have left it alone at the point where you got the dent out. That looked fine and wasnt a huge eyesore. I get it its your car and whatnot, and you're not exactly Thurston Howell. But I would have just saved up to have it done right if it we're me. I'm all for DIY but there are some things I'm just to picky for and won't do myself.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 04-02-2015 at 04:49 PM

Apart from the paint being raised it really doesn't look all that bad for it being my first time to do anything like this. If anything I learned some new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    Apart from the paint being raised it really doesn't look all that bad for it being my first time to do anything like this. If anything I learned some new stuff.
    Agreed. Try hitting that with a wet sand. Clear. Then Polish.

You should of make funnel out of paper and larger are on the body, and blend it in painting...everytime you tape of area like that you will get the edge....google it to get the visual
    I ROLL FENDERS! NY 631-662-7907

Quote Originally Posted by wisniaPl View Post
    You should of make funnel out of paper and larger are on the body, and blend it in painting...everytime you tape of area like that you will get the edge....google it to get the visual
    I thought about feathering the paint, after I did it... I'll probably end up wet sanding like oakrdrs said then feather it. Good thing its spring break, have some time to experiment lol.

used to do bumper repair with my stepdad several years ago...you def need to
    go back over it with some sandpaper and do a larger area
    go to orielly/walmart and buy some putty filler. little red tube - it is a lot "finer" than that thick stuff you used...you can get those cottage cheese lumps (near the crack) out by messing with that stuff
    sand all that stuff down once you're done with something around 300+ to get it really smooth
    spray an area like 3-4 inches outside of anything that is messed up and DONT do it in straight lines!
    then cover it with a clear coat

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

How the fuck is that totaled?????
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099 View Post
    How the fuck is that totaled?????
    Serious bullshit, right? They blamed it on the mileage and the amount of time the bodywork would take..

I just realized I never finished this thread up, so I ran outside and took a picture of the final product. It's far from perfect but it looks better than what it was.

And as for the dent between the windows... Well thats been there a while and my friend still hasn't paid for it.

Look up on youtube a video how that could be popped out with compressed air and a hairdryer. That looks like a fairly small dent, I'd give it a try before filling an such. Good job on bringing her back btw!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12