The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LED bulb questions.

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

LED bulb questions.

So, recently I put an LED bulb in my license plate light and started wondering how LEDs would work for all the lights. I just discovered how cheap you can get them on ebay and elsewhere online. Has anyone put LEDs in their brake lights, blinkers, fogs, and such. Does it cause any electrical issues? Do they really give you that instant crisp on/off like newer cars with LED lighting? Just wondering.

2001 Galant GTZ

I have done the same, I also replaced the bulb in the trunk to an LED bulb. I replaced the turn signals as well, which does mean installing a resistor for each bulb. It is not hard to do at all if you know basic electrical stuff.

Quick video of how they turned out here.

EDIT: Since making this video I have changed the connectors that I used to splice the wires together. I have actually soldered the resistors to the wires then heat shrink over that.

Yes, it does have the new car on/off crispness. As for electrical issues, I have had none so far and I am sure as long as they are installed correctly they will be just fine.

I am planning on going full LED (fog lights, tail lights, etc.) soon once I get the time and collect the parts.
    Last edited by Techn0Nut1996; 03-21-2015 at 04:50 PM
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    I have done the same, I also replaced the bulb in the trunk to an LED bulb. I replaced the turn signals as well, which does mean installing a resistor for each bulb. It is not hard to do at all if you know basic electrical stuff.

Quick video of how they turned out here.

EDIT: Since making this video I have changed the connectors that I used to splice the wires together. I have actually soldered the resistors to the wires then heat shrink over that.

Yes, it does have the new car on/off crispness. As for electrical issues, I have had none so far and I am sure as long as they are installed correctly they will be just fine.

I am planning on going full LED (fog lights, tail lights, etc.) soon once I get the time and collect the parts.
    You should make a little diy post with part names/numbers if it isn't already done. Looks good though, I'm gonna LED everything soon. What bulb style did you use for the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by iamjparkinson View Post
    You should make a little diy post with part names/numbers if it isn't already done. Looks good though, I'm gonna LED everything soon. What bulb style did you use for the trunk?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant Car Light Bulb Size Chart
    Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Size: 9003/HB2
    High Beam Headlamp Bulb Size: 9003/HB2
    Parking Light Bulb Size: 1157A
    Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1157A
    Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 2057
    Tail Light Bulb Size: 2057
    Stop Light Bulb Size: 2057
    High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 921
    Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: 899
    License Plate Light Bulb Size: 168
    Back Up Light Bulb Size: 1156
    Front Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 1157A
    Rear Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 2057
    Ash Tray Light Bulb Size: 74
    Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 74
    Dome Light Bulb Size: DE3175
    Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 158
    Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: DE3022
    Straight off modifiedlife.com lol
    I just typed the bulb size into Amazon and bought them. It was like 3 bucks for 2

You're a saint. I'm sure I would have found it eventually, but time is money as they say lol

Quote Originally Posted by iamjparkinson View Post
    You're a saint. I'm sure I would have found it eventually, but time is money as they say lol
    lol no problem.
    Last edited by Techn0Nut1996; 04-14-2015 at 11:30 AM