The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lowered V6 LS issue

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Lowered V6 LS issue

I have a 5-speed swapped V6 LS.

I always had a vibration after the swap at under 30mph and I just counted it up to the axles being worn (I got them used with the swap). This was at stock height.

Most of you know, I enjoy slammed cars, and slammed Galants is even better. BabyG is not one of these cars anymore though. I actually need to raise her up to get her to drive better (drives ok right now but the bumpsteer is crazy).

I bought this LS to be my DD and my "stanced" cars. I recently installed my ISC coilovers and lowered the car pretty much as low as I could get them to go. Take note, she is not much lower than BabyG at the momonet but I realize the V6 is a completely different animal from the I4.

I understand that with Tein S-techs the V6 gets a vibration from the axles at low speed, I was getting this vibration but it went away at 30MPH. I know that putting a washer behind the hub in front of the axles SHOULD fix this issue with new axles.

My question is though, is this vibration enough to kill a trans?

I ask because I just blew the trans on the LS this morning and I have barely driven it on the coils. like 10 miles at most.

The shift selector on the trans is frozen and will only go in one gear.

I need V6 guys opinions on this, I knew the vibrations were detrimental to the axles but I am not sure if it would destroy the trans. Also, I was planning to install the washers but didnt get the chance to because the trans went before I could do so.

The axles look fine, no ripped boots or anything. The only thing I know for a fact is that after the swap, on stock suspension, I had trouble with the shifter returning to neutral but when i went to a lighter shorter shift knob it seemed to have gone away. Not sure if this may have been the cause of the trans going out.

I got the car to do a "stance" build. I have yet to see it done properly on a USDM Galant so I figured Id take a shot at it. I know its less than practical so lets keep that banter to a minimum, but right now I have an issue, and although replacing the trans is not an issue, I want to make sure that being this low, with the washer trick, that the new trans I put in it with new axles should hold up and not go kablooey. That would be quite frustrating for my daily driver.

And lets say I dont want to raise her up either. PLEASE PLEASE, I am aware of how the axle angle will be wrong etc. I dont need a lecture, I just need different ideas from my fellow Galant/3g brothers so I can decide what I want to do with this car.

This is the height she is sitting at. ISC coilovers, two collars removed up front and 1/4" from all the way down in the rear.

Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I'm not and expert, nor do I have experience with the V6 5spd 3G/8G platform. However take this or what you can from this tidbit/info/2 cents, I had an 01 3G Gt with the sporty. Never lowered it, I owned it from 5yrs, I took it from 68k to 152k. Maintenance included Timing Belt and Water Pump halfway into ownership. Did plugs twice and axles once or twice not sure, endless brake swaps (pads and rotors) and thats it, never touched the suspension components period. I always had that annoying vibration climbing upto and past 30, new axles only reduced it a bit for like 5k miles. It never really went away andbi didn't really let it bother me. I now have this 01 GtZ with close to 200k on it, axle boots are torn and grease is everywhere, have the axles just haven't done the job since I want to replace the conrtol arms (which I haven't bought) at the same time. Moves strong no signs of giving up.

Point of my post is [Auto weaker than Manual] the V6 autos are supposed to be weak, and have a tendency to give out, sooner than the I4's. My 3G held for the 5yrs I owned it, with vibrations and the day I sold it, it pulled as hard as the day I got it. The GTZ now has 196k, got it with 193k, still going. If the fat pig auto can hold I don't see why the 5spd, that is stronger/sturdier won't.

I think it was just it's time to go, maybe a hard part broke internally and it probably would have happened with or without the vibrations. Drop it, open it, fix it with new fluids and be back on the road. Hope it helps or provides you with something to think about.

Thanks oak! That was the response I was looking for. I've been slamming cars for a while now, mine and other peoples cars and I never had an issue with the trans from the low ride height. It seems I may have broke a shift fork in the trans. There are a couple of v6 manual transmissions at my local yard so I'm just gonna toss another one in. I'd do it today but we got this surprise spring blizzard and I'm out of town this weekend so it looks like I won't get to it until next week sometime.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Jigz, you know how low my GTZ is. It has at LEAST 50k on the coilovers (at least 10k with the coilovers being blown out in the front) that are on it, I haven't noticed any major problems transmission wise to this point. I agree with Oak, it was a transmission failure, not a result of the lowering of the vehicle. Having a V6 and having it lowered for so long, I don't agree with vibration issues that others have mentioned on these cars with the V6.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Thanks oak! That was the response I was looking for.
    No problem bro! Glad to have been of help.