The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Power steering leak - 173K miles

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Power steering leak - 173K miles

Hey Guys..It's been a long time since my last visit. Just recently I've come across a really bad leak in my power steering. I guess it started when i hit a bad pothole. It's coming to the point where i have to re-fill power steering fluid (repair type) every 12-24 hours. I brought it to my local mechanic and they quoted me $800-$900 to get it repaired. They think it's "old seals" that needs to be replaced. Looking for some advice on whether i should sell/donate my 2000 ES Galant (173k miles)or get it repaired by myself or by the mechanic. My heart says get it repaired but my wallet is coughing.
    Last edited by DrunKenG; 03-25-2015 at 11:11 AM

Looking at the repair manual, is it possible to replace hoses by yourself without removing any other parts (besides removing the wheel itself) under the wheel well? What's the difficulty level?
    Last edited by DrunKenG; 03-25-2015 at 11:09 AM

Is it too late to claim this recall?

Recall ID # 1242 - STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS Plus Hide Details
    Recall Date:
    SEP 25, 2001
    Model Affected:
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant
    Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES BUILT WITH V6 ENGINES TO FEDERAL EMISSION STANDARDS. THE POWER STEERING FLUID FEED TUBE CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH AN EXHAUST MANIFOLD MOUNTED HEAT SHIELD CAUSING A HOLE TO BE WORN THROUGH THE POWER STEERING PIPE ALLOWING FLUID LEAKAGE.
    Consequences:
    LEAKING POWER STEERING FLUID CAN RESULT IN A FIRE AND CONTINUED LOSS OF FLUID WILL RESULT IN A LOSS OF POWER ASSIST, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE POWER STEERING TUBE WITH ONE HAVING A NEW ROUTING. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 26, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AMERICA AT 1-800-222-0037.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    MITSUBISHI AMERICA

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2000/...#ixzz3VPtW7sJ0

I believe the dealer can look up on their computer, using your vin, and see if the recall has been fixed on your vehicle. If not they should honor it. I asked about a recall on my 00 eclipse a few years back and I remember them looking it all up.
    -Casey

02 Galant ES 2.4
    91 Plymouth Laser RST

i ended up signing my car up for donation...While swapping out wheels to resell, I took a last look on finding where the problem is. A fingered loose power steering lug hose behind the left wheel well. I tighten it up and the leak stopped. I can't believe my mechanic couldn't even see that and is willing to charge me $800.