The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 randomly stalls, no check engine light

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

2003 randomly stalls, no check engine light

My moms 2003 galant 4cyl randomly dies. Sometimes it can start back up right away, and sometimes it just cranks for awhile, but let it sit for 10min or so and it starts back up every time. A few months ago she lost her timing belt and very surprisingly it didn't bend any valves. I replaced the belt, seals and a new oem crank sensor. The car ran fine for about a month before it started dying. For some reason she doesn't have a CEL. Even when her timing belt broke there still wasn't a CEL. I checked when i insert the keys into the ignition and turn it to accessory, and the "service engine soon" light appears, but goes away upon starting the vehicle. Any ideas what could be wrong with her car?

Update: I went out today and disconnected the mass air flow sensor. I started the car and it idles terrible but revs no problems. Still no check engine light... I've done this test before on other mitsubishi's and the ECU immediately throws a code and illuminates the CEL.. I hooked her MAF back up and started the car, started on first try, and idles perfect, but will still randomly die on her... Still not sure whats wrong with her car...

I would suggest checking for vacuum leaks. Check the condition of the hoses, see if there is any damage. If so, fix as needed. This would be the first thing that comes to mind that would not set a CEL by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I would suggest checking for vacuum leaks. Check the condition of the hoses, see if there is any damage. If so, fix as needed. This would be the first thing that comes to mind that would not set a CEL by the way.
    the symptoms of a vacuum leak seem about right, but being able to disconnect the MAF and still not getting a cel... Could this be a ECU issue? I'm pretty knowledgeable with DSM and the turbo model mitsu's and that usually a test to tell if the ECU is acting up. Tried it on my talon, and it instantly throws a CEL. But theres a 13yr difference there, not sure how the newer models work...

I would be quite surprised if the ECU is causing your problems. Simply for two reasons, one I don't remember any threads on TGC were someone stated their ECU failed. And two, typically you would have other more major and weirder issues. The MAF is electronically controlled, and I would venture to say you need a new MAF sensor. Do you have any other issues going on besides what you mentioned (however minor)?

I had a MAF sensor fail in a different vehicle with very similar symptoms you are having, OP

Quote Originally Posted by NickGen8 View Post
    I had a MAF sensor fail in a different vehicle with very similar symptoms you are having, OP
    Actually turned out to be a faulty crank sensor. mom drove around like that for 6 months. randomly stalling, sometimes not starting back up for hours.

did you replace the bad MAF Sensor? and did it correct the random shutdown of the vehicle?