The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Switches

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Switches

I am looking into setting up some underdash led lights for my girlfriends galant. Have any of you put in a toggle switch for anything? Where and how did you mount it? Pics are appreciated

I have seen people put switches in multiple locations. In the glove box, in the armrest, where the foglight and power mirrior controls are, and under the steering wheel. You can put one just about wherever you want, someplaces are just harder to get wires too. Luckily the bezel around the headunit and ac/heat controls is really easy to pop off and it provides a lot of access to areas where you can hide wires.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Quote Originally Posted by tisumner91 View Post
    I am looking into setting up some underdash led lights for my girlfriends galant. Have any of you put in a toggle switch for anything? Where and how did you mount it? Pics are appreciated

Two screws and the center armrest is out, the space underneath is conveniently located making the connections easily serviceable. I have a small fused distribution block hidden beneath console, As long as you take care to not obstruct the operation of the e-brake cables and you insulate your connections, that space is open game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by melwood513 View Post

Two screws and the center armrest is out, the space underneath is conveniently located making the connections easily serviceable. I have a small fused distribution block hidden beneath console, As long as you take care to not obstruct the operation of the e-brake cables and you insulate your connections, that space is open game.

Any chance you could explain how you got the switches in? My girlfriend wants toggle ones

There is a little bit of plastic at the front behind where the switches are. I actually cut a little bit of it out to clear the connections. Then I held the switches up to the mounting surface to make sure I could fit the switch on the flat surface (that plastic begins to curve and u will have gaps if u dont stay above curve) also, be sure ur just under the lip of where the cup holder rests inside console, u can actually see what I am referring to clearly in my pic. I pencil traced each switch since drilling a hole can't be undone to make sure I had them exactly where I wanted. Sketchy of making holes to big or odd shaped trying to work around shifter, I stepped the bit size down a hair and used a small file to finish my holes.
    I Know you said she wants toggles, but in order to put them here, the switch will need to fit on the flat spot I mentioned. I didn't like my first set of rocker switches, they were elongated And thick so they protruded to far And I had to lay them sideways to fit right, I found these small led rockers with the same sized mounting hole and snapped them in. Love them cuz I'm not accidentally turning them on or bumping into them Cuz they stick out like toggles do. If I wanted toggles, I may mount them below steering wheel somewhere or next to mirror adjuster switch. Hope this helped, if u want a pic I can take one for you.

Clean install melwood513

Added two more over the weekend, worked out well. Plenty of room for connections and all switches are ran to center of car. Getting the drill in there straight was a little tough, recommend starting hole with drill then do final filing to switch size to make sure hole is straight.

What are all those switches for?

I installed two and was having some serious issues.. I think it was because they were cheap. For now I redid the wiring to how it used to be for my halos and when I get some more time I'll try and find some nicer quality ones.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    What are all those switches for?
    One turns my app off so I don't have to have the bass on all of the time, one is for front floorboard LEDs, one is for rear floorboard LEDS so kids can have some light during long trips without turning overhead dome on, and the other is for LEDs in the trunk and engine compartment, all constant hot and switched so I don't have to turn key to get light anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    I installed two and was having some serious issues.. I think it was because they were cheap. For now I redid the wiring to how it used to be for my halos and when I get some more time I'll try and find some nicer quality ones.
    Wow, that's weird. I bought a pack of6 from eBay cheap, the worst that's happened to me is LED on switch burned out or one of the prongs pushes into back of switch. Just make sure u run power to fuse block and from there power to your switch. And I recommend not tapping power off of anything, come straight from battery to fused block. There's no chance of messing anything else up that way, good luck!

Wow, that's weird. I bought a pack of6 from eBay cheap, the worst that's happened to me is LED on switch burned out or one of the prongs pushes into back of switch. Just make sure u run power to fuse block and from there power to your switch. And I recommend not tapping power off of anything, come straight from battery to fused block. There's no chance of messing anything else up that way, good luck!

I'm really not sure what was wrong, but it would work for half a second then blow the 10A fuse every time.

I'm really not sure what was wrong, but it would work for half a second then blow the 10A fuse every time.
    Wow, that's not good. Sounds like the power is shorted or making contact with metal on the car somewhere. I can't provide much help without knowing or seeing the actual application your utilizing, I'm sorry, lol. A multi-meter will be your most valuable tool in this situation.

I can't provide much help without knowing or seeing the actual application your utilizing, I'm sorry, lol.
    No worries! I just got a multimeter but don't have time to do any work on the car. I need to invest in decent wire too.. I'm glad your set up is working well tho!

No worries! I just got a multimeter but don't have time to do any work on the car. I need to invest in decent wire too.. I'm glad your set up is working well tho!
    Thanks, I'm actually a low voltage technician by trade, so I have a bit of an unfair advantage ;) . Let me know if you run into anything, I'd be glad to help you track down the source of the problem.

Thanks, I'm actually a low voltage technician by trade, so I have a bit of an unfair advantage ;) . Let me know if you run into anything, I'd be glad to help you track down the source of the problem.

Thanks!! I'll PM you