The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stayer. Produce rear spoiler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Stayer. Produce rear spoiler.

Hi people!
    In this topic I want to talk about how you can make the rear spoiler. Yes, of course you can buy if it is on the market. And if there isn't? For example, for upgraded Galant 9th gen, I have nothing worthwhile is not found. Except that it.

However, I do not like this option. It doesn't work in aerodynamics. First you need to understand why you need a spoiler, and then to do. I think you will be interested to read this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

So, why the need for a rear spoiler? This aerodynamic element which allows to correct the flow of air after the car. Do not confuse the spoiler and the wing. The wing creates downforce, but really spoils the aerodynamics. The task of the spoiler to keep the upper part of the flow smooth. The airflow from under the car already spoiled and it is turbulent. Therefore, it is important to lower the air flow is connected to the top very smoothly. This gives some advantages in the form of lower resistance or lower fuel consumption. Here are a couple of spoilers for drag racing. It's certainly a monster. But shows how it works.

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see in the photo above, the lower part of the spoiler doesn't matter. It is important to extend the upper flow of air as long as possible.
    So the spoiler has two functions. Practical and decorative. Most modified cars have this element. For Galant 9 (2004-08) a modification of Ralliart and GTS which had a factory spoiler.

For subsequent modifications is missing. This must be corrected.

- - - Updated - - -

When I long doing nothing, I get bored. Hee-hee.
    There are many ways and materials for manufacturing. In other topics I was shown different options. In this case, I want to tell you how to make polypropylene.
    This is good stuff. Its good to handle, it is light, not afraid of cold.So, what do we need? Cheap polypropylene can be bought in the hardware store. This is a common tank for construction. Costs 6 dollars. Paper tape and a soldering iron. Enough to start.

- - - Updated - - -

To start glue over paper tape intended place of work. And do preliminary layout.
    You can cut a part from the tank.

It has a radius which conforms to the surface of the trunk.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you can start to weld parts using a soldering iron.

Each part connected to a paper tape.

It is important that all parts fit tightly to the surface.

- - - Updated - - -

In the same way, solder the bottom part.

Don't see what it looks scary, then everything will be smooth and beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

After the base, it is necessary to make a pocket for the stop signal.

- - - Updated - - -

Next, select from cardboard the shape of the spoiler.

And cut these parts are made of polypropylene.

- - - Updated - - -

Parts are very similar, but they are not the same. It shows if all pieces together.

Therefore, parts must be processed and to do the same.
    For this we need to make a common block. Drilling two holes and to pull the bolts.

- - - Updated - - -

After processing, the parts are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you can solder the parts according to layout.

All the rest the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Next you need to make the tail. According to the overall design, round design not combined with square design. Therefore, if the overall design of the car round, you have to do the round part. To do this, take the water pipe PP-half inch. And make the cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

The pipe is worn on the shank. It is necessary to set the height and solder.

- - - Updated - - -

Soldered pipe and formed the General contour of the spoiler.

The spoiler was quite rigid in torsion. Now it can be removed for processing and further work. Until all.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

Wow, this is pretty cool.. I would rather buy one myself but this is kinda handy because you can give it your own design, make it to fit, and get a custom shape. I'm interested to see what the final product looks like!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Wow man. Thats really impressive work. I could definitely learn a few things from you. Cant wait to see how this looks when its done

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work, cannot wait until it is finished.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    Wow, this is pretty cool.. I would rather buy one myself but this is kinda handy because you can give it your own design, make it to fit, and get a custom shape. I'm interested to see what the final product looks like!
    The fact of the matter is that for 9g not for sale nothing. Perhaps in the US things are better, but I didn't find anything suitable. So have to make your own hands and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by stayer View Post
    The fact of the matter is that for 9g not for sale nothing. Perhaps in the US things are better, but I didn't find anything suitable. So have to make your own hands and skill.
    Gotcha, I like you mind set and determination to get exactly what you want!

Will continue.
    So. Earlier we made the skeleton. This will give the total hardness of the product. Now we have to make the surface. To do this, cut the paper template.

Pattern making part made of polypropylene.

- - - Updated - - -

In the same way we do the next part.

- - - Updated - - -

Next, do the welds for fixation.

And begin welding the parts.

In this case, the soldering tip must be deep enough. This needs to solder 3 parts (2 parts and skeleton). The photo is not very good, but you get the gist.

- - - Updated - - -

After the weld seam has a recess.

It is necessary to fill the seam to the level of the main surface. For this you need to melt a piece of polypropylene.

- - - Updated - - -

To make the following 2 parts and soldering.

I note that welding is produced from the center to the edges. It is impossible to weld the parts from one side to the other. This spoiler will become like a propeller (curve).

- - - Updated - - -

After this initial 2 parts can be welded to the pipe.

- - - Updated - - -

In the same way weld all other parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Parts welded together and to the pipe. You can now do the front. However, this is not exactly. And cut off only approximately. This must be corrected. Put one size on the rear pipe.

- - - Updated - - -

And weld from the center to the edges.

To be continued

Taking shape! I never would have thought of this, but I really like it.

Blog Entries
    Good Job Bro!

The work is progressing slowly because I can only do weekends. Nevertheless there are updates.
    So. Made generic form of spoiler. As you know, the bottom part is made the same as the top.

So we got the General shape of the spoiler.

- - - Updated - - -

You can now proceed to primary treatment. Take the very large sandpaper (40-50 ). And sanded the surface. Now you can see the first shoals and irregularities. In some places came to light holes.

- - - Updated - - -

It is not necessary to use a filler. You just have to take a piece of polypropylene and melt at these places. So that it is performed above the surface.

And again sanded surface.
    Thus we get a surface with no fillers. This can be repeated several times.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, a more accurate form. And you can begin to more finely finished.

The spoiler is very well balanced. It lies on the surface and does not fall. It says the correct weight distribution and correct form. Total weight about 900 grams.

to be continued

Wow, great work. The last pic looks very good.
    You should consider making a mold and selling these. I'm sure the 9G members are eager for a different trunk lip.

Thats sweet! How are you going to attatch it to the car? And how are you melting the polypropylene to fill in the holes after you sanded it?
    Last edited by Techn0Nut1996; 07-15-2015 at 04:17 PM

Polypropylene is melted using a soldering iron. Just take a small piece and heat. It becomes liquid and fills the holes. To the car it is attached using a sealant (liquid nails). I've done many cars, it is very durable and reliable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE View Post
    Wow, great work. The last pic looks very good.
    You should consider making a mold and selling these. I'm sure the 9G members are eager for a different trunk lip.
    There is the idea to remove the matrix with this product. And to make copies. In Russia several owners want to purchase. I'll think of making copies, I have to finish the draft.

Great job! very unique plastic welding.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Need to finish the project with a rear spoiler. All was once, but now I will try in the near future. A few photos.

Last weekend we finished the work on making the spoiler. Painted in body color.

The spoiler was quite easy. Less than 900 g.

- - - Updated - - -

Now it must be attached to the trunk lid. This would require a solvent, bilateral adhesive tape, sealant for bonding automotive glass.

- - - Updated - - -

Degrease the surface of the spoiler and trunk lid. On the perimeter then stick double-sided tape, but do not tear the protective film.

Then apply the sealant for bonding glass.

- - - Updated - - -

Then, press firmly on the trunk lid.

Now we have to wait a day to complete polymerization.
    Soon I will do a photo shoot. It looks cool.

Blog Entries
    This is Amazing and i think you should start producing parts cause this is very professional Deal

The funny thing is that originally it was a plastic tank for construction.

Blog Entries
    lol regardless of the materiel make this is astonishing bro! like you should go forwarded with this creation and sale them on Amazon and Ebay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast