The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trunk won't open

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Trunk won't open

2000 4cy es trunk won't open. Driver's side latch pulls, but when you try to turn the key significant resistance can be felt. I would hop through the back seat and try to open it manually, but I can't fit. Does anyone know how to manually open the trunk from the inside? Any help appreciated.

When you say "turn the key" are you trying to unlock the trunk from the outside?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Yes I am. I can't even turn it a quarter of the way.

Have you tried having a buddy lift up on the trunk while you pull the lever by the driver seat?

What about a little WD40 on the key then stick the key in and jiggle it around for a while?

Remove the back seat and get in there...I accidentally tripped the lock switch once packing for a road trip

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

piggy back off of frank, to remove the seat you need to pull the bottom off, two little clips about where your crotch would be under the front edge of the seat. then there are like 3-4 bolts that hold the back down, undo those and then slight it out from under the seatbelts

to unlatch the trunk there is just a few things you can trip with a screw driver and unlatch it...its pretty easy to figure out, had to do mine once several years back

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

I would check the latch before closing it again. I had this issue once, and within a week it would get stuck everytime I closed my trunk. It turned out the switch for the trunk light (little white plastic arm) had worn down and was actually catching on the latch when I'd close the trunk. I cut the piece out and disconnected the light until I could put a new latch on.

what color is the key youre using to open the trunk? black keys are supposed to open it no prob but grey keys are valet keys and wont open the trunk or glove box.