The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manual transmission problems

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Manual transmission problems

So we put the transmission in a couple of days ago, everything was going smooth. Until there was this distinct grinding noise, we thought it was the throw out bearing but it was the pilot bearing, I've read that you don't need it for th3 second Gen flywheel but what about the third gen flywheel? Do I need the pilot bearing or not ? It fell out to BTW

Last edited by Thatfresh_kid; 06-26-2015 at 09:20 PM

Manual transmission problems

The clutch doesn't matter it's the flywheel you have to worry about. Depending on the flywheel you will need to remove the pilot bearing. The 2g flywheel, you'll need to remove it. The 3rd gen flywheel, if it accommodates the pilot bearing then you keep it. Some after market flywheels don't and you'll know because the center bore will be smaller and won't fit over it.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    The clutch doesn't matter it's the flywheel you have to worry about. Depending on the flywheel you will need to remove the pilot bearing. The 2g flywheel, you'll need to remove it. The 3rd gen flywheel, if it accommodates the pilot bearing then you keep it. Some after market flywheels don't and you'll know because the center bore will be smaller and won't fit over it.
    I meant flywheel aha and what do you mean "if it accommodates the pilot bearing"?

Do I need it for the 3gen flywheel or not ?

Last edited by Thatfresh_kid; 06-26-2015 at 09:54 PM

The 3rd gen flywheel, if it accommodates the pilot bearing then you keep it. Some after market flywheels don't and you'll know because the center bore will be smaller and won't fit over it.

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Lol thats one way to get it out, I wrestled mined with a pipe wrench for like 30 minutes before it came out. Hold in to it, you might need it ine day.

Experienced TGC Member
    We put it back in with the spacer in between the block and flywheel and so far its doing good..
    Thanks everyone for the help..