The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Key turned, dash lights up but car does not start

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Key turned, dash lights up but car does not start

My 98 7g has a reoccurring problem. Turn the key to first click and all the idiot lights light up (check engine, oil, battery, seat belt, brake and SRS) but when I continue to turn key to engage starter, nothing happens; no cranking, no noise, no nothing. What is strange is sometimes it fires off the first time and other times I might have to turn the key six or seven times before the starter engages. When the starter does engage, car fires right up. Battery is good. Suggestions on what to check? Thanks, jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

starter solenoid may be going out

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Starter is going. Check battery voltage and as long as it's above 12.4 most likely the starter.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanks, I'll swap the starter and see what happens
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You could also grab a friend and check signal to the solenoid with a test light ground the test light as the signal has power make sure the test light works and verify power to signal wire when you turn the key if you have power every time you turn the key all the way the starter is bad. If you have a dvom you could also do a voltage drop test on the power and ground (starter body to block) that's if you wanna get technical with it. But most likely it's a bad starter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    BIG WILLY 9G FOO..........

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_WILLY_831 View Post
    You could also grab a friend and check signal to the solenoid with a test light ground the test light as the signal has power make sure the test light works and verify power to signal wire when you turn the key if you have power every time you turn the key all the way the starter is bad. If you have a dvom you could also do a voltage drop test on the power and ground (starter body to block) that's if you wanna get technical with it. But most likely it's a bad starter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    THIS. Good answer bro!