The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: underdrive pulley question

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

underdrive pulley question

i'm going to order an underdrive pulley from RRM. my question is: has anyone who has this mod experienced their electrical components working shitty? i've heard more than a few people say that underdrive pulleys will hinder the use of your A/C and aftermarket sound systems. i've also heard that your headlights will be dimmer.

i have an aftermarket subwoofer and HIDs installed in my car, so if this is true it'll be a dealbreaker for me. any feedback on this?
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE

I have it in my 09 galant,
    I also have the RRE Headers and a short ram with a tune by hackish.

I have noticed my headlights get a tad dimmer even before I installed these mods then it would brighten up when I would press the gas.
    It's the same with all my mods. I dont think it came from the under pulley because I have noticed it before that was even installed and it seems the same with it.

I dont know if a BIG 3 kit would fix the issue, maybe not but its worth a try.

RRE claims no electrical power loss whatsoever. it is what it is, i think i'm gonna get one anyway.
    Last edited by WEAPONS-GRADE; 07-08-2016 at 05:20 PM
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE

Upgrading your alternator would fix this issue. Ive seen this issue a lot after installing high power drawing audio systems in vehicles. This is generally due to the aftermarket electronics basically taking power(voltage) away from your other systems/devices. An upgraded alternator would allow your vehicle to basically recharge your battery faster than the stock one and should reduce or eliminate electrical issues due to low voltage. You could also add a second battery to have a similar effect

like i said, i currently have an aftermarket sound system and HIDs in the headlights and fog lights. stock pulley, stock alternator, stock battery. absolutely no power loss thus far. i'm gonna get the under drive pulley and see what happens, if anything, and i'll post my observations afterwards. stay tuned.
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE

Quote Originally Posted by WEAPONS-GRADE View Post
    like i said, i currently have an aftermarket sound system and HIDs in the headlights and fog lights. stock pulley, stock alternator, stock battery. absolutely no power loss thus far. i'm gonna get the under drive pulley and see what happens, if anything, and i'll post my observations afterwards. stay tuned.
    Well I have the under-drive pulley and I have experienced dimming before I ever bought it,
    I have no changes since installing it all still runs as it did before, electricity wise.

I also have the RRE Headers.

bubba0767
    Noob here whats the advantage of the underdrive pully system

I dont know all the technical jargon:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4...rivepulley.htm

What is it?
    A lightweight crank pulley that is under-driven to release more power in unsprung weight from the engine. It results in an under-drive of around 25%, which frees up power.

What is the weight differences?
    The underdriven/lighter pulley is .58lbs and the stock unit is 3.911lbs. This is nearly 85% lighter. This weight was done on a calibrated grams scale used at the Backwoods Racing engine shop.

Where will I feel power?
    On a stock car or modified 2.4 MIVEC you will feel gains. This pulley improves low-end torque and it makes the engine rev quicker to redline.

And weapons Grade, :

How will such a pulley affect my awesome sound system?
    We hooked up a charging system tester and it showed the same readings as stock. There was no loss in AMPS /VOLTS. This car has the stock battery and no other power related modifications. You can keep banging and rolling with this pulley!

bubba0767
    I read the link.thats cool I wonder if it will fit my 2011 I'm going to email him and see

Quote Originally Posted by bubba0767 View Post
    I read the link.thats cool I wonder if it will fit my 2011 I'm going to email him and see
    I would email them to double check, but as far as I know as long as your engine is a 4g69 it should bolt right up, and comes with a new belt the correct size as this pulley is smaller.