The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2007 Galant Suspension Questions

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

2007 Galant Suspension Questions

My front shocks are totally trashed right now. The car shakes on stops, bounces all over the place during bumps, and I have some traction issues on new tires. Late next month I have a 9 hour each way driving trip planned and want this fixed asap. Doing a bit of research I found it's really not that big of a deal to change out the struts as long as I have a spring compressor (or rent one) so I was just thinking of doing this work myself. While I'm really comfortable doing my own work I have some questions about some specifics of things.

From doing the bounce test it seems my front struts are bad and the backs are fine, but I feel like if I'm going through the trouble of doing 2 I might as well do 4, especially if I'm going to buy a spring compressor for the job. Also, it seems like the Megan Racing lowering springs are slightly cheaper ($119 for all 4) then the run of the mill springs from the local O'Reilly/Napa so I was thinking of just making that "upgrade" while I'm toying with all of this.

Now here's the questions.

Clearance: The listing for the springs say that they lower the front and back 1.75". I saw something on Youtube that said something about measuring from the middle of the rim to the fender to figure out this height. The front looks to be totally fine with the drop, but the rear looks like it might be a close call or will be sitting deeper in the wheel well. I currently have my amp and sub in a custom box in the back adding some weight back there. Does anyone know if putting in those springs will make the stock wheels rub in the wells? I'm concerned doing this will also require me to get low profile tires which I don't want to do. Current tires: 215/60R16

Compatibility: If I get some KYB or Monroe struts from O'Reilly/Napa (they are just close by) will they work with the Megan Racing springs? I've never done this before and have been a little confused about some specifics with struts and springs. Seen some articles talking about specific adjustments. Is it more complicated then compressing the spring, taking the top off of the strut, putting the top back on, decompressing the spring, and installing the strut/spring?

I've read to get an alignment after the change as well, something I plan on doing. Also read some articles on camber, but it doesn't sound like I'll need an adjustment for it with a 1.75 drop (only adjustments to the toe possibly, included in the alignment).

Any other advice would be great. I do a lot of my own work on my car and love learning new stuff about taking car of my car myself. Thanks

I decided on getting some Eibach springs and just to use Monroe struts. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Springs got here today. The struts came on Thursday. I have everything I need to put this stuff in, I just need the time and an appointment for an alignment. I'm officially excited.

I ride on megan springs. Yes it is a 1.75 inch drop front and rear. No adjustments on the camber. Had them on since. 2008 and no problems with tire wear . Go to vhoist.com. . My car has photos in there. 9gts.
    Eibachs may have a lower drop and may need a camber adjustment.

I saw your pictures, pretty awesome ride. I really like that spoiler. Clean looking.

So I went with the Eibach Pro Kits and some Monroe Struts. It really slammed the ride as far as I'm concerned and I heard the Megans are actually lower then the Eibachs. I wouldn't have wanted that. By the time I was done I couldn't get my jack out from under the car where I usually hoist the car up from and had to find another space to jack it up from. The ride is a lot stiffer now which I really like, but that was to be expected no matter what I did as the shocks I had up front before the switch were SHOT. I compressed them a few times and the center piece would literally fall straight down like 4 inches before there was any fluid restricting its movement. IMO the ride height with the Eibachs are perfect and I really wouldn't want to bottom this ride out any farther. I'll have to post pictures this weekend as my phone camera isn't doing it justice. Right now I'm rolling ghetto on the stock rims without the hubcabs and it's too dark to get the idea of how close they are the the lip.

Honestly looking through the search history I should have never posted this in the first place, there's wayyy too many similar threads. I appreciate you getting back on this though.

Thanks. Spoiler is from the Australian Galant. Post pics of your car. Would be nice to see your car on Eibachs.

The 380? I'm desperately trying to get some peices from that thing (mainly the front bumper and spoiler) with no luck. Any tips?

I'll do a little waanabe photoshoot with my DSLR this weekend, but the car is in a very um... experimental shape right now. As in, I've been bored and trying some stuff with spray paint and vinyl wrapping, but oh well.

Pic dump: These arent the polished pictures I was planning on, but I'm not sure if I'll have time so here's just a dump of my weird looking car with the Eibachs

The car is sort of in an experimental stage right now.. I tried out the vinyl wrap just to see if I could do it. I'm gonna pull it off in a few months and put on another color I found with a friends help this time. Doing it yourself is impossible to have a nice end result.

I had a friend who visited Australia and was willing to check it in as luggage. He bought it from a dealer.
    I would go with vinyl wrap. I have the vvivid tech r carbon gloss on the hood and it looks like real CF.
    Cannot really see the drop on the Eibachs. Wheel wells are dark. Keep us posted.

Does anyone know if reactive lowering springs from a 2000 eclipse fit my 2006 Galant?