The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: About to do 120K mile Timing belt change....what else should i change?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

About to do 120K mile Timing belt change....what else should i change?

Hi, i have a 2006 galant with 120K miles....im about to do the 120K timing belt change, i have following parts
    2 Belts
    2 Tensioners
    1 Idler
    1 Water Pump with water pump gasket and water pump gasket sealer/silicone.

i know its kinda of a big job so I was wondering before i give the car and those parts to my mechanic to change...is there anything else that i should look out for or change while i am in the process of changing the belts and water pump?

Inspect the cam and crank seals. Might as well have fresh ones in there.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Inspect the cam and crank seals. Might as well have fresh ones in there.

ok makes sense...replacing the seals for $20 now is worth it rather than to have to replace them later and re-do a $300 in labor job.... thanks.

Yep, who knows how many miles they got left before they start to drip. 10k? 20k?
    Or they probably won't leak while you own the car, but I wouldn't gamble to find out.

At 120K, if it hasn't been done, it's probably time to change the valve cover gaskets too while at it.

ok thanks, illl change the valve cover gasket in a few weeks, but this week ill be doing the timing belts, pulleys, tensioners, waterpump and thanks to "oakrdrs187" ill be doing the cam and crack shaft seals as well.

Have him take a look at the serpentine belt and Posible the timing cover gasket those get dry and brittle to also in my experiance if the trans and front motor mount are worn, old, or dry roted tilting of th engine to far when doing the timing belt can tear them just something to keep in mind. I can't think of anything else at the time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    BIG WILLY 9G FOO..........

yea im going to change the serpentine also while i'm at it....as far as the camshaft and crankshaft seals go...do those seals need any type of "glue/silicone/rtv" or anything like that?

No just proper install and prep work if not they can leak.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    BIG WILLY 9G FOO..........

No just seals. But it helps to put a little grease or oil on the inside and outside surface for easier install, also careful not to damage the seals as they go in and.mor importanly carful not to nick the crank or cam as they come out.

bubba0767
    I am also about to do this on my 2011 fe galant. Is this a hard task? Also is this an interference motor?

It is a interference motor, i was gonna do mine but then decided not to mess with it & got it done at the dealer for under a grand

yea doing the timing wrong can blow the engine so better to make sure u have someone knows what they are doing have it changed.

i got the parts from rockauto for around $250 shipped
    Gates Timing Belt
    Gates Balance Shaft Belt
    Gates Serpentine Micro-V Belt
    Gates 2 Tensioners
    Gates 1 Idler
    Gates 1 Water Pump with water pump gasket and water pump gasket sealer/silicone.
    Fel Pro Camshaft Seal
    Fel Pro Crankshaft seal

Labor from mechanic $350

Total cost: $600