The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hmmm... 18x9.5 on 8g?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 47
    ^because he wants too. and the rest is IYO

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I would suggest this;

18x9.5 (or 19x9.5") +20 (to +25mm), just remember that you can always use spacers if you need more space or want more poke. If you use fender flares the +20mm offset should sit nicely flush with the flares themselves.

I would suggest no wider than 235 width tires. The sizes would be as follows 235/40R18 or 235/35R19. This would allow for good quality high performance tires without going all the way into super high performance or competition grade tires like Galantman03 will be using ;) .

You can also go to www.tyrestretch.com to view different types of tires on your desired wheel widths and 18s versus 19s

Keep in mind, if you choose to go that wide and use 235 tires or wider you will need *may* need tomodify the rear fenders heavily. If you have any more questions just ask. If I think of anything else that could help you out I'll post it.

Blue8g I'm pretty low. Maybe around 3 or 4inches off the floor. I like a little poke because I'm not really a fan of the tire inside of the body. Just my preference

Exactly Galantman03

Awesome RedGalant2k1. That sounds perfect. I'm going to go on that web and check it out. I have a pair of STM performance 15mm and 20mm spacers with the extended wheel studs. I can try them out with the wheels for some different fitment options. Still going to research and research. This is something I really want to take my time and learn. I appreciate all your guys help. Anymore info you guys want to throw on the thread feel free ;). I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian, You can call me Jared lol.
    I have no idea why I remember your name but I do haha

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

you don't really need a 10.5 wheel tbh. 9.5 will work, just play with offset if youre looking for gripping power, its really down to tire size and what will clear your fenders. 9.5 wheel can hold up to 295's. tires will bulge at 295 but will be flush with 275's. working with tire height will help too. 19's are nice for show on a galant, 17/18's are more practical. I just know the price difference from 18 to 19's was a lot more. those forgestar wheels with concave face, I'm pretty sure they will clear brembos. your height is similar to mine and I remember having to pull my fenders on a more conservative 18x8 +35 with 8mm space/18x9 +35 225/40/18 setup with brembos
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Hmmm... 18x9.5 on 8g?

Lol my bad Jared. That's too funny.

Dronesurfboards I do want some grip power because of my future plans for the car. I think 18x10 would be a cool size for the car. I seen this pic of an evo and I like how this car sits.

With the forgestar concave I can see how they fit and add spacers or something later. They do look like they clear brembos fairly well

Last edited by 8gtorque; 09-12-2015 at 08:40 AM

If you want grip....why do you want 225's? Why not just run like a 17x9 +30-35 with a 255/40?

hi guys,

im also planning on getting new wheels after getting the big brake conversion with 5 lugs, im looking at rota's coz they are the cheapest here and its made here in my country, what's the best offset for 18x9.5 without any mods on the fenders or is that even possible? i like the T2R and ss10.

cheers

The BEST offset without signficant modifications would be +25mm to +30mm, with nothing wider than 225/40R18 for tires.

thanks red, will that tire stretch on the 9.5's? im not a fan of stretch wheels but if its just a mild stretch im ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaix View Post
    thanks red, will that tire stretch on the 9.5's? im not a fan of stretch wheels but if its just a mild stretch im ok with it.
    Yes, it will stretch on that wheel width. However, some tires run oversized, some run small, some stretch nicer than others. You can go to www.tyrestretch.com to check out thousands of pictures of different tires and wheel widths to see what is to your liking. Just remember what i said is BEST to use as above.

Awesome!! Thanks again red.

hi guys,

im also planning on getting new wheels after getting the big brake conversion with 5 lugs, im looking at rota's coz they are the cheapest here and its made here in my country, what's the best offset for 18x9.5 without any mods on the fenders or is that even possible? i like the T2R and ss10.

cheers
    18x9.5 depending if youre lowered or not will need fenders rolled and pulled. I'm on 18x8/18x9 and had to do both but I'm dropped 3+ inches and coilovers are on full stiffness and I still rub from time to time going into parking lots and on big sudden road dips on the freeway. forget about being able to do uturns also at my height. 18x9.5 is doable but you will have poke and stretched look. my 18x9 has a slight stretch but nothing that looks stupid.

That evo above is all about looks. hes not trying to go fast anymore. 225 on shit tires. yeah, pretty pointless on an evo. never understood why anyone would get budget wheels and tires on an expensive car like that. I would've stayed on stock bbs/enkei's til i had money for better stuff.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune

I'm thinking of going the 235/40R18 on 18x9.5 route. I want grip for speed along with a strong look.

What particular tire do you guys like?
    Nitto or Toyo, etc?

Toyo and Nitto run small and may not stretch enough on a 9.5" wheel. I suggest going on www.tyrestretch.com and reviewing all 18x9.5" wheels,with 235/40R18s on them. You can see what looks good and then also see what tires would be good.

this is just personal opinion through my own experience

general gmax has gotten some good reviews. I know a few people that swear by them for a bang for your buck tire.

hankook ventus evo2's aren't bad but ive heard people say sidewall isn't too sturdy wet traction is great. I use them on my daily, it does the job, I have no complaints.

continental extreme dw are good, but halfway through tire life they don't grip as well.

I love the Michelin pilot super sports, great tire in dry or wet and lasts awhile. probably my favorite tire if I can find a deal on them and they have a warranty. ive gotten 30k miles on them, with a couple of road course days and 1/4 mile days at the track. quiet tire from new to bald.

bridgestone Potenza re-11 are great also, just get noisy halfway through tire life, very good traction doesn't last long but these tires aren't supposed too.

Potenza s-04 pole positions is a great tire for the price also. never had an issue with breaking traction. solid performer.

I'm not a fan of falkens, they don't last at all, they squeal under heavy turns, had traction issues when launching. I could never last a year with these tires. great for stretching though. its a fan favorite for vip guys. 225 on a 10.5 wheel....no problems lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, now im thinking of 18x8.5, what's the best offset for that size of wheels? Any comments on yokohama s drives?

S drives last forever. I've never personally used them but I know a couple people who have and I know they haven't bought tires in awhile. I'd give them a try but they always seem to be on back order when I need tires.

18x8.5 is a solid wheel size, you shouldn't have to mod your fenders just as long as you have the right offset and tire size. A lot of the forum members run that size.

Thanks for all the suggestions, now im thinking of 18x8.5, what's the best offset for that size of wheels? Any comments on yokohama s drives?
    The Yoko S-Drives were my favorite tires in that category. Bought a set, and when it was time to replace, bought an other one. They lasted me a good time, handled nice in rain, never got loud, had decent grip for what it is.

Regarding the comment on falkens: The best gripping tire I had was the original ST Azenis, but it's true, they were gone in no time. This time around I'm on FK453's, simply because I got a deal on them, and so far they are a really good tire overall, a very different animal.

Yeah here too, you have to get in the list to have the s drive,. Is a +20 offset on 18x8.5 is a good fit? And im thinking 235/40 tires or still 225/40?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast