The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: (Forged) performance pistons...where?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

(Forged) performance pistons...where?

Where can I get pistons to handle nitrous? Hopefully someone can refer me to an online source, and I heard that pistons will actually lower your horsepower if you get low compession...this true? I just need to handle a 65 shot of nitrous, but I'd prefer if the pistons were designed for stronger applications so i dont have to worry. I'm just running CAI on a 4g64 7G. Engine is in good shape. Thanks.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    low comp pistons will lower ur horsepower. reason for gettin them is to be able to run higher boost or lots of NOS. i dont think the pistons in the 4g64 are the weak part in the engine...
    7g for life!

so what do u think i should upgrade then first?

1994 Galant GS 5spd

If you are only running a 65 shot I don't think I'd worry about upgrading anything. There are a lot of people running 70 shot on stock internals.

-- edit -- well maybe not. I don't see people on the eclipse boards having the burnt piston problem that mante and twisted have I'd take their word on what you need to do. You can get stock compression pistions that are forged from alot of diffrent places.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Man™
    Search the boards first please!

IllestGalant
    Just my 2 cents: if you would like to use nitrous and are actually willing to start changing pistons, then make it a one shot deal. Keep the stock crank and upgrade the connecting rods and pistons. JE pistons are very good and the non-silicone based pistons will hold up to extreme heat for the nitrous, you could lower compression a little bit to handle a larger nitrous system. Instead of reusing the stock bearings for the rods and crank, clevitte h2 alloy bearings will handle that upgrade well. ManleyBros will make you connecting rods in whatever material you want such as forged, aluminum, or fully machined billet depending on how much money you want to spend. If your really serious, start the head and porting work. Ferra valvetrain can supply valve spring sets for a nice ported cylinder head. All of this with cold air intake, full exhaust system and a 150 shot you'll be "flyin"
    Are you running a dry or wet nitrous system?

HiperSilver
    people blow their motors on nitrous because they are dumbasses plain and fucking simple....you dont need pistons for for a 65 shot...pistons arent the weakpoint...id get headwork before i got pistons.....

you can run 90 dry or 120 wet ...your choice...id go with a wet shot, the reason your burining pistons is cause your lleaning out your mixture...wet will mix fuel with nitrous so u get a goo dmixture..

FOR A NITROS ONLY CAR
    -lower comp for street, higher comp for drag
    -ported head,1mm oversize valves...stronger valves.
    -exhuast manny, er..header with a full exhuast.
    -AFC
    -Intake
    -Lower Comp pistons or thicker headgasket
    -Modifyed ECU

with a good launch on a et street, that should get you in the mid 13's to high 13's

Kain
    Also, from what I've seen, the 7g bottom end just seems to be a little stronger than the 8g bottom end. 65 shot shouldn't be a problem if you use it right, and take the proper precautions. Rewire your fuel pump, and get RPW's FPR (or any FPR, they're all good). That'll ensure you don't run lean, which is the #1 cause of catostrophic failures when using Nitrous Oxide.

Quote Originally Posted by IllestGalant
    Are you running a dry or wet nitrous system?
    dry system. the kit was cheaper, install will be cheaper, but yeah, not as efficient. i'm on a tight budget.

. Rewire your fuel pump, and get RPW's FPR (or any FPR, they're all good).
    damn, i totally forgot about the fuel pump. i'll have to do that this weekend. so how much and where can i get a regulator? thanks.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

IllestGalant
    visionimports.com for fpr, and the dry system should be okay but won't be as effective as wet. So are you gonna start overhauling the bottom end?

i gotta start hauling my ass on this project.....

god damn i'm so funny

1994 Galant GS 5spd