The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lets talk oil filters... OEM VS Aftermarket

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Lets talk oil filters... OEM VS Aftermarket

Anyone else have problems with aftermarket oil filters? I was using Fram oil filters with 5-20 Valvoline oil & once temps started dropping, when started it would whine for 15 seconds & oil pressure light would stay on then would shut off & whine would stop.

I switched to a OEM oil filter & problems went away.

Comparing the OEM Vs Fram was a difference. Fram was smaller, didn't look like it could handle vs OEM. I noticed it ran better on OEM. Iv6e been using OEM for over a year & the problems haven't came back.
    I have switched over to 5-20w Castrol GTX Magnetic. Pleased with results. My brother who owns a trailblazer switched over to Royal Purple & swears by it but feeling how thin it is & reading online on the battles of cons/pros of RP i wasnt switching over.

On the old setup on my turbo 4g64, when I ran Mobil full synthetic 5w30 with the OEM filter, it wasn't odd to see 2psi oil pressure at idle. I just thought it was normal since the light would never come on. But then I was in a bind one day and needed to use a Bosch filter and all of a sudden oil psi at idle never went below 8 psi. This is when I started to think about oil filters. After that I went back to the OEM and idle would dip down to 2psi at oil pressure again. A week after that I crashed it.

So then I rebuilt the motor and I started running amsoil 10w40 with the OEM filter after the Balance shafts were deleted I did notice a spike in oil pressure at idle but no more than 12psi and it would drop down to 8psi once warm. Here's where it gets interesting, I ran into a thread on evom comparing the OEM filter to other filters and the FRAM filter was the worse and the OEM filter wasn't the best. WIX and amsoil ended up being the best one. So i tried it, now I don't see oil pressure at idle under 30psi and its damn near 100 psi at 70 on the highway. Safe to say I've never used anything else but the amsoil oil fikter
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Wix are very good filters. The wix rep came into our O'Reilly store once with cutaways of all the filters we carry including fram, bosch and mobil 1.

Looking closely at them you can difference, wix came in on top with the more expensive filters and fram and bosch scored pretty low, almost as bad as the house brand.

Where you get wix at? In a store I mean. Never seen them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

O'Reillys or Napa gold filters are made by Wix. Friend that builds motors swears by them and won't use anything else.

http://www.wixfilters.com/wheretobuy.aspx
    Last edited by ViewAskew; 10-01-2015 at 07:02 PM

I use Napa gold on the g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Interesting about the filters, I've heard of em & im looking at 5 dirty WIX filters that my brother has started when he shows up to change his oil. My brother swears by WIX. I heard they use a metal plate vs the others use cardboard which makes for better oil pressure.

After i use these oem filters up i will switch over to WIX & see if i get any improvement. Kinda disappointed that Bosch wasnt know good. I just bought a B. Filter the other day for my other car. Still on the shelf, might go back & return it

I have been using mobil1 EP filter, great one, this time I tried PurolatorBOSS Oil Filter, seems good filter as well.