The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2000 Galant idle issue

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

2000 Galant idle issue

I have a 2000 4 cyl Galant with 87,000 miles original engine. My Galant was running fine, no signs of any problems. I got to a red light and when i accelerated the car jerked really bad. I got to the next red light and reset the car hoping that would fix it. When i accelerated it jerked really bad again. At the next light the car dropped down to 0 rpm and shut off. I started the car again and tried turning to get to the curb and I lost all power steering and when i got to the curb the car dropped to 0 rpm again and shut off. I was able to get it to a mechanic and he turned up the idle to about 1000 rpm and it stayed on. I drove it like that for a week and lowered the idle myself to about 500-800 rpm. It is running ok but does not feel right still. When i start up the car it sounds fine for a second or two, then the engine sounds very low. It is driving ok but it seems to be idling lower a little bit every day. Im not really sure what to do. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

funny thing bro..im running into the same thing...i did the v6 swap and back to my i4TB ..but i had zero during idle...i also ran through different 3 iac...used from junk yards...... then i decided to loosen up the idle screw...(which is not always the best way to get idle up according to many threads here) I got my idle to 1000 like yours but engine is making noise i turn my A/c and it would drop below 500...drove it around town no codes yet just curious how your ride is doing?
    wise up or stand down

As of right now it still feels shaky when I get to a complete stop. No codes have shown up except for a high idle. Engine still sounds weak. I think I'm going to try replacing the IAC and see how that goes

sounds like an iac. either replace or clean it and see if that works. let us know what happens.

I had bought some throttle body / IAC cleaner and MAF sensor cleaner and cleaned it once but it was still having problems. I cleaned both once again and it has been running well. I would try this before buying a new IAC. Hope this helps .