The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Squeal When Accelerating

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Squeal When Accelerating

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on the problem Im having. When I accelerate I hear a high pitch squealing sound. The sound only occurs when accelerating under load. If I put the car in neutral or park and raise the rpm I get nothing. If I lift the wheels and drive so it is shifting through gears I get nothing. When when there is load on the engine. The noise stops as soon as I stop accelerating. No noise when maintaining speed or slowing down
    Thanks for your suggestions

Inspect the following:

Belts
    Belt Tensioners
    Motor Mounts

Mine 8G does the same, and I believe it's the compressor for the A/C.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

It might be the alternator bearing. That's what it was when mine did it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys. Ill do some more digging this weekend and let you know if I find anything

I have a bad squeal on my old 1999 galant when I first start it, replaced belts a while back and still had the issue,
    put some soap/lube under the belts and now it only lasts about 3-5 seconds when I start the car instead of a full minute or so.

but I have no idea what that problem could be.

BENT PULLEYS!
    I was having the same issue with my 95 ls.
    replaced belts, and started pulling apart bearings; Then my boss at the parts store took a look in an effort to say me more wrenching than necessary. He noticed that a lip of my water pump pulley was bent slightly. After much effort, metal cardlike sheets, and some pliers, it's all good now.
    check for bad pulleys, and if no luck there, go to the pulley bearings.
    Good luck mate.
    (check belts and tensioners firsat though. If problem persists, this may be remedy.)

Quote Originally Posted by 12GaugeMule View Post
    I have a bad squeal on my old 1999 galant when I first start it, replaced belts a while back and still had the issue,
    put some soap/lube under the belts and now it only lasts about 3-5 seconds when I start the car instead of a full minute or so.

but I have no idea what that problem could be.
    Aye Mule, belt dressing or conditioning is a bad idea in general, since it can degrade the belt quicker, or cause slippage. I recommend replacing the troubled belt, since if it is squeaking something had to rub/wear on it, or it is aged already.
    Just something to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by Triller831 View Post
    Aye Mule, belt dressing or conditioning is a bad idea in general, since it can degrade the belt quicker, or cause slippage. I recommend replacing the troubled belt, since if it is squeaking something had to rub/wear on it, or it is aged already.
    Just something to keep an eye on.
    Ah, Yeah I had no idea, I saw it on a youtube video lol!
    All brand new belts I installed, and I'm selling the car anyway just wanted to replace what I already had lying around so it would run a bit better for the next person who probably wont fix anything and drive it till it dies.

whine under load

Quote Originally Posted by Sean9G View Post
    Hey guys. Wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on the problem Im having. When I accelerate I hear a high pitch squealing sound. The sound only occurs when accelerating under load. If I put the car in neutral or park and raise the rpm I get nothing. If I lift the wheels and drive so it is shifting through gears I get nothing. When when there is load on the engine. The noise stops as soon as I stop accelerating. No noise when maintaining speed or slowing down
    Thanks for your suggestions
    Did you ever figure out what this problem was? My 05 Galant started doing the exact same thing only under load.