The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Building a Spartans 8G

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Building a Spartans 8G

I figured it was time to start a thread for my build.
    After the demise of my 7G (stupid impulse sale which caused the car to ultimately get crushed)...

I decided I wanted an 8G. I have always liked the way the 8G looks. There is a level of aggressiveness that this grocery getter has hiding within it.

So here she is in all of her stock glory the day I brought her home. 01 ES with the 2.4L

Right away I started with some small stuff.
    I strongly disliked the yellow needles in the instrument cluster so I pulled some red ones from another G at the JY.

I put white LEDS in my instrument cluster and they made my needles look too pink, so I pulled them again and colored them red.

Much better...

I also linked my foglight relay, so they are always on with my parking lights.

Next I moved onto the grille
    I really like the Aero Grille, but all my fiberglass stuff was buried in my storage unit, so I just cut the fins out and painted it. Unfortunately the white I picked up wasnt as close as i thought it was, but it works. While I was at it I blacked the housings on my lights, resurfaced the lenses and cut the cross bars out of the lower opening on my bumper.

I was at the JY looking at a couple things for my car and my wifes sebring and I came across this auto dimming mirror. so now its in and wired and I love it. I just wish my side mirrors did the same thing. lol

Last time I was at the JY, I was on my lunch break and came out with an accord lip and Auid A4 sidemarkers. Its nice having 2 different pull and pay type JYs right next to my work.

My grille is currently back out of the car and the center is cut out. I will be starting the Aero style work tonight. more pics to come.

I have lots of plans for this car
    Sonata head
    5spd
    turbo...
    Springs and wheels are next though.

Nice mods so far. Look fwd to what's to come

Got the grille done finally.

Looks great, now do mine...been putting it off for weeks. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Lol. I didn't use fiberglass resin. I used a product called Smoothcast. Its a liquid plastic resin commonly used in prop making. Its also non toxic so its safe to use indoors. I did lay a little fiberglass cloth in the resin to help with strength, but its primarily solid resin. Its also sandable and paintable. I didn't use any bondo at all.

Grille looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice man, I have an 8g, I'm currently working on, I got a bunch of stuff done already, next I'm doing some homemade side skirts

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Started working on my interior. I plan on keeping it two tone grey and black with some small red accents but nothing dramatic. As of now the wood grain accents were replaced with grey ones then wrapped in Carbon fiber vinyl. Doors were wrapped in Black vinyl. vents, ashtray area, steering column, dome light, rear book lights painted black.

Next up for the interior is to wrap the dash and back deck with the same vinyl used on the doors. Black seat belts, center console area with the cup holders and arm rest. I am going to wrap the armrest with vinyl as well, but I am working on how to do it without any seams. seats will come soon enough as well as an Evo steering wheel. I am torn on if I should go with black carpet or just black floor mats.

I have the same air fresher lol I really like the interior! Personally I would go simple and do black floor mats. Plus that would provide a little contrast against the carpet. Are you going to change the dome light to LEDs? It makes one hell of a difference.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Thats what I was thinking with the floor mats. I was thinking about having the GALANT on the floor mats done in red, but just an idea at this point.
    Yes I will do LEDs in all the dome lights. My instrument cluster has them, but I still need to get the 74 and the little ones for the HVAC controls. eventually every bulb on my car will be LED.

Just a suggestion but for map lights do cree rigid loops. I replaced my old smd led ones with cree versions... much brighter. Cost a little bit more, but worth it. Also if you have the rear dome even though I think they only come on sunroof equipped cars, might wanna try 1 of these

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/31mmFestoon-6x2323

I have 31mm with 2323 leds, but I didnt know ddm had one with 6 2323 leds. Mine I got from another company only had four. But 2323 leds are pretty bright too, went well with my crees in the front.

But as for the changes you've already made, very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres the crees I have in the front http://m.ebay.com/itm/44mm-6-Watt-Cree-LED-White-Rigid-Loop-Door-Light-Bulbs-211-2-212-2-214-2-578-/371063386477?nav=SEARCH

Quick tip incase you by rigid loops and not doing custom cut led panels. If the loops don't fully sit against the switch contacts, take wire tie, slide it through the loop and pull it towards the switch contacts, and wrap it around the parts of the housing that stick up, then twist so it holds. Might even wanna notch the housing so the wire can sit in and not slide up.

Also the switch contacts aren't that forgiving in bending. I messed up my original map lights the first time I tried sliding the old smd led bulbs in lol. Apologize if I seem like I'm schooling, just trying to help others avoid my pitfalls/buyers remorse.

So I decided I waned to extend the black on my center console. I covered the arm rest with the same vinyl I used on the doors. It came out ok. I will probably end up redoing it down the road. Now the whole top half of my center console is black including the cup holders.

I was planning on doing the back deck in the same vinyl, but I don't think I want to cut holes and add speaker covers so my sound isn't muffled coming through the vinyl. I think it will look to cluttered. Once I get seats for the front I might switch up the vinyl all the way around (except the dash) for black tweed, and have the seats redone with the same fabric. I had a buddy back in the day have the same thing done in his CRX but blue and grey tweed and it came out awesome. Just a thought at this point. I need to get the dash done and locate some seats first.

Picked these up today. The length is almost perfect, and only needs some minor trimming.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Loolong nice man, What type of side skirts or these?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thanks. 99 Infinity G20

It's been a while since I have updated so here it goes...
    I picked up a spoiler from a Scion TC

It needed a little modification to fit right. First I cut the tabs off and made them flush. Then had to heat to make it line up with the trunk lid profile.

I like the way it came out.

I also decided to pull the carbon fiber vinyl off. It all came out really nice except in the little wells around the switches. I wasn't able to stretch it enough to wrap all the way through the well so it was pulling up in the corners and bugging the crap out of me. So I painted those black and decided to do the cups for the door handles.
    I still really need to do the dash and get a black wheel. Then seats and belts will be the focus of my interior.

Day before yesterday my new lip came in. I was torn between the spoon and the mugen, and in the end the mugen won.