The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Buying 9G Galant

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Buying 9G Galant

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a 09 Galant. The car has 63K on the clock and the price is $6K. Seems like a good deal, but there's a couple of caveats. It was a rental vehicle at Alamo/National and has been in a couple of minor accidents. In one of the accidents the airbags deployed. Here's my questions:
    -Given it was a rental car, it has probably seen at least some abuse and prolonged maintenance intervals. Can Galants take it? Does anyone of you have former rental Galant?
    -What should I pay a particular attention to when inspecting the car?

Thanks
    Last edited by AlexRuss; 11-10-2015 at 09:12 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuss View Post
    Anyone?
    I have an 8G that was a rental car in florida for years, 190K miles and running very well. The accidents are kind of a turn off IMHO, but if they were repaired it might not be so bad. Does it have a salvage title?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

No, it has a regular title. I looked at the geometry of the front panels and it seems to be repaired well. The only problem is the right light shoots higher than normal. I started to look at Outlander Sport or 2016 Outlander. Does anyone have an Outlander? How does it ride?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuss View Post
    Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a 09 Galant. The car has 63K on the clock and the price is $6K. Seems like a good deal, but there's a couple of caveats. It was a rental vehicle at Alamo/National and has been in a couple of minor accidents. In one of the accidents the airbags deployed. Here's my questions:
    -Given it was a rental car, it has probably seen at least some abuse and prolonged maintenance intervals. Can Galants take it? Does anyone of you have former rental Galant?
    -What should I pay a particular attention to when inspecting the car?

Thanks
    Yes, I've got a 11 model myself. I'd stay away from them. Bought one at 61,XXX miles. Its at 110,XXX now but it's got some problems along with problems with any other 9g model galant. I love my 9g but she has her days. Here are my probs

Engine harness is junk- all the grounds have corrison problems.

Had to replace battery to frame cable, engine block cable, Battery to altenator cable is getting spliced open from the motor harness holding clip that attaches underneath the top plastic piece of the engine.

Cats possibly clogging up

Burning smell inside of dash a year ago when running heat. Might be a bad motor blower. I've seen a thread about 11 models with problems on that.

Classic paint fade on hood, paint is easy to chip

AC fans not turning on, just makes a clicking sound.

Power steering pump leaks. Started at 87,xxx

Leaking brake line, rear driver side.

I have gone through sets & sets & sets of brakes. Finally upgraded to the powerstop brake set. Love it!

Clock flickers randomly

Oil pressure light flickers on & off.

Car has never been able to hold a alignment. Yes some roads are crowned but this thing loses its touch shortly.

Classic loose rusted heat shield

I've listed alot of problems, these cars are reliable but have the FE rental model I feel that lower end parts get tossed in. If your tools & how to fix stuff I'd maybe look into interest but I'd stay away from the fe if you don't want to invest money & time fixing stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

That's a lot of issues for a relatively low mileage. Thanks for your advice though. I will probably just get a new outlander.

I know, still got a little under 5gs to pay it off. Its been well maintained, oem belts, pulleys, new timing kit OEM. Always change the oil at 3,500 synthetic. But she was abused as a hertz rental. Right now she needs all new struts, ball joints. I just put in all Moog end links, sway bar bushings, outer tie rods & to make things worse a deer ran into the passenger side door at 75mph+ when my wife was on her way to school.. I've invested alot into the 9g. I know it's capable of doing 200,000+ so I will eventually drive her in the ground in the near future until then I'll keep throwing bills at her Ha. Those Outlanders are hella nice. I wouldn't mind on buying one.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk