The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: $350 4g64 5 speed swap project started

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 264

$350 4g64 5 speed swap project started

Okay so here's the story. I've been driving my 8g since 2002 when I was 16. It's a 1999 Galant ES automatic 6g72. I bought it with 41k miles on it and it now has 223k. Whatever happens to this car, I won't let it die. It's a sentimental thing at this point so I'm not giving up on it. So about 2 months ago the engine overheated bad and it quit running. I started driving my other car instead and kinda forgot about the galant and let it sit. Well I sold my other car so now it's time to get the galant going. I knew it overheated and the heads were probably warped due to the fact that it could still run but combustion pressure was coming out of the overflow bottle. So first thing was to pull the heads and see if maybe I got lucky and it was just head gaskets. No luck, .013" warpage on the heads

I've started redoing the surface of the heads and have one down to .06-.07" warpage, which is actually within the spec of .08". I decided a while ago tho that the 4g64 was a better option. Easier to work on, seemingly less problematic, and more options and potential when it comes to making power. So the idea of a 6g72 to 4g64 swap was born. I also have wanted to do a 5 speed swap, and since this automatic is shuddering and struggling to hold a gear, now is a good time to swap transmissions. So I searched for a 3g eclipse with a 4g64 and 5 speed. Just when I thought I would never find one around here for cheap enough, a 2001 3g pops up on Craigslist.

Owner told me it doesn't run because the belts are bad. I figured that meant a thrown timing belt, so I was able to talk them down to $350 for the car. I found the shredded timing belt in the back seat after I got it to the shop. The car is trashed. The body is faking off and interior gutted, but I don't need that stuff anyways. I'll scrap the car when I'm done. Since the timing belt went, it's time to pull the head and check the damage

I honestly don't think the pistons hit the valves. I'll take the cam out of the head tomorrow and check the combustion chambers for leaks, which will tell me if any valves are bent. I'll also check deck height and see if rods are bent. I can then the crank by hand, so the pistons aren't seized. But the oil pump and balance shaft won't turn. Top left and bottom right gears in the picture are stuck

Tomorrow I will pull the oil pump cover off and see what I can find. Once this engine is running in the 3g, then I'll swap it to the 8g. That way I know it was good before the swap and if it doesn't run afterwards, it's something I did wrong. I'll post pictures of everything as I go. I figure I'll do a full prothane kit for bushings and mounts while everything is out. Probably a clutch too. I think I'll leave everything else stock for now until it's good. Unless the valves are bent in the head, then I might as well do a DOHC swap right now.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Good stuff, I also own an 8g, and I want to do a 5 speed swap on mine soon also, can you please post the info and step plus pictures on here, in case yours take place before mine thank you, I'd really appreciate it

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Had to work later today than expected. Only had an hour to work on the cars tonight, but I got the engine out

I'll put the engine on a stand in the morning and then after work pull the oil pan and front cover.

Engine on the stand and ready for further disassembly

Got down to the source failure that locked everything up. Both balance shafts seized in the block and stopped the oil pump from spinning which caused the timing belt to snap.

I'm thinking instead of replacing both shafts and pressing new bushings into the block, I should just go with a balance shaft delete kit. Easier, cheaper, and free up a couple hp.

Well scratch that. I have bigger problems. I figured the balance shafts probably seized due to lack of oil, so I should check the main bearings.....

Definitely oil starvation. By the looks of the blown up strut tower, bent sway bar link, and the severely dented oil pan, I'm guessing the previous owner jumped this thing hard and dented/cracked the oil pan. Then drove it until the engine died. Main bearings: trash. Crankshaft journals: scored and scraped. Connecting rod bearings: trash. Pistons: skirts scored/scraped. Cylinder bores: scraped.

Bought another engine. It'll be here Monday.

Can you do the 5 speed swap while you wait? :)

Quote Originally Posted by NickGen8 View Post
    Can you do the 5 speed swap while you wait? :)
    Lol it'll happen soon enough. Engine will be here Monday. Clutch should be here Tuesday I think. So the new engine should be in the eclipse and running by Thursday night. That means the entire swap to the 8g starts Friday and hopefully done Saturday.

Some parts arrived today

New engine showed up today. Had just enough time to strip the junk off of it and mount it in the stand.

Maybe it's just me, but the pilot bushing on the old crank doesn't look right. Is this really all there is??

New arrivals

Frustrating day with the car. Partly because I only get an hour a day to work on it. The original plan was to put the new engine in the eclipse so I can verify everything works as it should BEFORE the swap. Well, I found out that I can't get the new engine into the car without pulling the transmission. It kind of slipped my mind that the old engine was pulled after I already had the head off, so I had way more room. Now with a complete engine, it's not even close.

So the swap is happening sooner than I thought. The eclipse will be gutted tomorrow.

Hang in there man, be patient, you'll get it, usually when I get frustrated on my car I leave it, then come back in a bit to cool off

More parts arrived

Quote Originally Posted by rijery34 View Post
    Hang in there man, be patient, you'll get it, usually when I get frustrated on my car I leave it, then come back in a bit to cool off

Thanks. I just wish I had a solid like 5 hours to dedicate to it in one day. I'll be on it all Saturday basically. I was hoping to have the engine in and close to running tonight. Instead, all I accomplished was installing the flywheel with the new clutch and pressure plate, a new throwout bearing, and a new rear main.

That's a lot more I could've done in an hour man

Quick questions, when I do my swap, I have an 2003 galant when I swap the tranny for s 5 speed I will get an engine light, how do I get that out? And what about my starter it will not work with the new tranny right!?

Pull the axles and drop the tranny no big deal. Mate the two and lower the car onto the engine/trans assembly.

I meant how do I get rid of the engine light

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast