The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: $350 4g64 5 speed swap project started

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 264
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Change out the entire harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm going to have to. I had planned on swapping the engine harness, but then I realized the body harness doesn't have plugs for the clutch pedal sensors. So I went to swap that harness (which includes the front fuse box) and found that the abs wiring is supposed to go thru that one but the eclipse doesn't have abs. So I went to add the abs relay and harness to that harness only to find that the connection from that harness to the rest of the body harness behind the dash has different pin locations. So I guess I need to swap that final section of body harness behind the dash and hope the eclipse harness will reach all the 8g components in the car. Mainly my concern is if it will plug into the cluster.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Found frayed wires that I had to fix

Galant body harness plugs behind dash

Eclipse body harness plugs behind dash

The extra connection for the galant is abs. I removed the abs harness and got it ready to add to the eclipse wiring

If ABS on the Galant, your gonna have to get ABS axles that have the speed sensor ring you can try to R&R the rings from the V6 axles. Your gonna have to use the original V6 knuckle with the hole for the ABS sensors. If im correct the brakes on the 03-05 eclipses are the same as 2000-2003 V6 galants so you can use either or.

You don't have to have the entire harness, you can just change the engine portion and then cut and splice for power ect if needed. But many people haven't done what your doing. You'll get lost it will happen. What sucks is the manuals don't really lay out in detail what wire is for what. Or show you random connectors. As long as you haven't cut anything yet you should be good. The only think they you might have to cut is the starter ignition wires off if the main harness. It's been so long I can't remember what I all did and I moved my fuse box to the trunk as well. Just get it all into place label everything and then back track from galant harness to eclipse harness

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    If ABS on the Galant, your gonna have to get ABS axles that have the speed sensor ring you can try to R&R the rings from the V6 axles. Your gonna have to use the original V6 knuckle with the hole for the ABS sensors. If im correct the brakes on the 03-05 eclipses are the same as 2000-2003 V6 galants so you can use either or.
    The axles the eclipse came with have giant tears in the boots and were ran dry for a long time, so I'm replacing them. I'm leaving the galant spindles on, so I'll still have the speed sensors. I'm buying axles for a 4g64 8g with abs. They have 43 teeth on the ring just like the 6g72 axles do, so it'll work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    You don't have to have the entire harness, you can just change the engine portion and then cut and splice for power ect if needed. But many people haven't done what your doing. You'll get lost it will happen. What sucks is the manuals don't really lay out in detail what wire is for what. Or show you random connectors. As long as you haven't cut anything yet you should be good. The only think they you might have to cut is the starter ignition wires off if the main harness. It's been so long I can't remember what I all did and I moved my fuse box to the trunk as well. Just get it all into place label everything and then back track from galant harness to eclipse harness

What about the "front ecu" that's in the front fuse box? Are there any differences in those from auto to manual? And no, I haven't cut anything yet.

Thats the front ecu I'm talking about. The 2 I have are different part numbers. I feel like I need to use the one from the 3g, but I'm not sure

Front ECU?

That's just basically a main relay.

Blog Entries
    Great stuff bro keep up the spirit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Okay so I figure that even if I figure out the wiring, I won't know for sure that it's right until I attempt to start the engine and drive. So I decided to start installing the engine and trans. First the sub frame has to go in tho. The bolt patterns are identical. The 8g 6g72 frame bolts up in the exact same location as a 3g 4g64 frame. So far so good. I kept lifting it up and against the frame, only to get stuck on something. Come to find out, the 3g frame comes up higher than the 8g frame. So I'm left with about a 2 inch gap

The frame is tilting down and forward when I took that picture, nothing is bent. It's kind of hard to see but you can zoom a bit and see the gap I'm talking about

It's because the body on the 4 cylinder cars has an extension welded in place there. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about when you go back to the car that you pulled the 4 cylinder subframe out of.

It isn't a 3g vs 8g difference, but rather an i4 vs v6 difference.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    It's because the body on the 4 cylinder cars has an extension welded in place there. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about when you go back to the car that you pulled the 4 cylinder subframe out of.

So if I weld an extension on, the engine won't be sitting too low in the engine compartment? I was thinking it would be easier to make the 4g64 mount into the 6g72 frame, rather than putting in extensions. The front and rear mounts look to be in the exact same spots

All you'll essentially need is something to fill the gap, and you're all set.

All you'll essentially need is something to fill the gap, and you're all set.
    That shouldn't be tough. I'll figure something out then

It's definitely a difference in sub frames. The vehicle frames are different

8g:

3g

I would have to put 6 spacers in, and then I'm pretty sure the engine would be sitting too low to reach the passenger side engine mount and transmission mount

Ahh yes. I had mistaken things last night. The silver frame rail appears to be a v6 car which has the extension on the frame rail, whereas the red frame rail is a 4 cylinder car. To make the 4 cylinder subframe work in the v6 car, that extension would need to come out. The only thing I can't remember is if the stud remains in place after drilling out the spot welds.

Studs are trapped in the frame rail..

Finally some things went right... I pulled the 6g72 and auto from the 8g frame. Mated the manual to the 4g64. Then attempted to install the manual 4g64 setup onto the auto 6g72 subframe... I don't want to get ahead of myself, but it looks like it should fit just fine.....

I think the reason everyone says it won't fit is because (at least on the 3g) the 4g64 frame has the steering rack boxed in, so the rear engine mount mounts directly over the rack. The 6g72 frame doesn't box in the rack, therefore the mount support must attach farther back and extend forward to reach the engine. But in the end I believe both mounts are sitting in the same spot. I won't know 100% for sure until I put it all in the car, but so far it looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Studs are trapped in the frame rail..
    I was waiting for this guy to chime in.... What's up bro!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast