The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: $350 4g64 5 speed swap project started

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Showing results 121 to 140 of 264
    Making progress today. Oil leak still looks fixed. There was a misfire under medium to heavy load, spark plugs and wires have fixed that. The exhaust is swapping right now between the 8g and 3g. The complete undercarriage is getting degreased while I eat lunch

I don't want a bunch of residual oil dripping onto the "new" exhaust

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

does your shop supply the tool boxes for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by kylecanthurdle View Post
    does your shop supply the tool boxes for you guys?
    Yeah but we don't get to keep them when we leave

Updates.... 3g exhaust doesn't fit the 8g. The mounting brackets are in different spots and the 3g exhaust isn't long enough. I removed a ton of oil from the undercarriage but there still a good amount to go. Drove it home with no issues. No noises. No check engine lights. Shifts smooth. I just need to find an exhaust. Suggestions? Headers? Just cat back? Which brand?

lucky you, i am already $8k deep just in tool storage.

can i make a suggestion? if you have running water(which im assuming you do) and a way to hose the undercarriage down, get a gallon or two(or 5) of purple power degreaser or maybe even simple green and fill up a spray bottle and go to town with it and spray on the undercarriage. let it sit for a minute or two and hose it down and repeat it a couple of times. luckily i have a nice drain right behind my bay and a water nozzle right next to my box and i have to do the same thing of KIA v6 engines that leak from the oil pressure sensor. its crazy how well it soaks up the oil and when it dries it leaves no residue and it cleans any kind of dirt from the undercarriage.

lucky you, i am already $8k deep just in tool storage.

can i make a suggestion? if you have running water(which im assuming you do) and a way to hose the undercarriage down, get a gallon or two(or 5) of purple power degreaser or maybe even simple green and fill up a spray bottle and go to town with it and spray on the undercarriage. let it sit for a minute or two and hose it down and repeat it a couple of times. luckily i have a nice drain right behind my bay and a water nozzle right next to my box and i have to do the same thing of KIA v6 engines that leak from the oil pressure sensor. its crazy how well it soaks up the oil and when it dries it leaves no residue and it cleans any kind of dirt from the undercarriage.
    Unfortunately we don't keep the boxes when we leave. So I'll have to eventually buy one. My tool cart is mine tho. That's a good idea. I think I'll take the degreaser concentrate we use on the floors and spray it like you said. I used 2 cans of engine degreaser and like 12 cams of brake clean so far.

Yeah man, I used the floor cleaner we used at my last job to clean as well until I left and all I have at my shop is that purple power. Brake clean and engine degreaser works but not well enough

http://m.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-...6128/100047759

I buy this by the 5 gallon size. Runs around 40. Blows purple power away IMO.

Best shit I've ever used. Be Careful with it though.

I have this whole week away from the shop. The project hasn't stopped. I ordered a catback exhaust, lowering springs, and new shocks. The exhaust should be on Saturday or Monday. I'm looking into a gauge pod, s7 gauges, stripping the clear coat, and plasti dipping it.

Finally an update. New exhaust is on. Not loud at all while cruising. Not obnoxious while accelerating. I'm happy with it

whats the brand?

whats the brand?
    Ebay

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amaru7 View Post
    Ebay

The Best Brand

The way I see it, it was inexpensive. Worst case scenario is it sounds like crap and I have to get a new muffler. But I still got the other exhaust pipes I needed for cheap

Front shocks and springs are on. S-techs with GR-2's. The front is sky high when you take out a 6g72 and install a 4g64 with a 5 speed. The stock springs are just way too strong for such a weight reduction

Ride height after the swap

Ride height now

Spring difference

Since it was already in the air, I did a bit more degreasing underneath

Hope you went with the 4cyl springs.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Hope you went with the 4cyl springs.
    Yeah I got the 4 cylinder ones

Installed the rears

Left and right engine mounts installed today

Timing belt covers went back on today, had to replace the passenger side xenon setup, removed the old V6 badging and the rear ones as well, did more cleanup of the underside. New heater core and evap showed up and will be going in soon so I can start putting the interior back together. I want to install some gauges but I don't want it tacky. Either molded to the A-pillar like everyone else or molded to the center of the dash on top. Slowly but surely it's coming together. I'll post more pics soon

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast