The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galant/eclipse reshell?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Galant/eclipse reshell?

I know the 8g galant and 3g eclipse are very similar and use lots of the same parts, so I got to thinking...

I have a 6G72 galant
    I found a v6 5 speed eclipse for cheap that was rear ended
    Could I basically reshell the eclipse into the G? The eclipse has less miles (50k less) so I'd drop the engine and other parts in it too.

What do you guys think? Worth the hassle? I'm just not sure if swapping the tranny and using my G parts would be more beneficial than swapping all the eclipse stuff, namely the ecu.. then I should be able to skip all the mods to trick the stock ecu to work with the manual tranny, right? :P
    Last edited by NickGen8; 11-23-2015 at 05:17 AM

You could strip any car to the shell (the Galant for example) and install the guts of anything if you have the time and money. So, in other words yes, if you swap all the eclipse stuff, it should be no problem. Just know you may have to do a lot of minor modifications to from exhaust, to wiring, just because of the differences in the bodies.

I'd try to keep as much galant stuff as possible, so I'd just bolt up the exhaust to the eclipse engine... wiring is pretty simple if kept in order.

I was mostly curious if the ecu would give me fits if I swapped it. It shouldn't, but I always seem to have bad luck haha

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick response too :)

Quote Originally Posted by NickGen8 View Post
    I know the 8g galant and 3g eclipse are very similar and use lots of the same parts, so I got to thinking...

I have a 6G72 galant
    I found a v6 5 speed eclipse for cheap that was rear ended
    Could I basically reshell the eclipse into the G? The eclipse has less miles (50k less) so I'd drop the engine and other parts in it too.

What do you guys think? Worth the hassle? I'm just not sure if swapping the tranny and using my G parts would be more beneficial than swapping all the eclipse stuff, namely the ecu.. then I should be able to skip all the mods to trick the stock ecu to work with the manual tranny, right?
    I posted a thread on this yesterday. I'm in the middle of doing this right now. Bought a 3g and am swapping everything over. It should work. I'll keep posting as I go

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Okay, thanks!

So you are trying to swap the Eclipse engine, 5sp trans and ECU? If so, yes. You could swap the immob and keys too to keep things simple. Not sure what other parts you are thinking, but most things are interchangable between the two cars, just make sure they are the same year as the wiring changed between facelifts, and there are also some year to year changes.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    So you are trying to swap the Eclipse engine, 5sp trans and ECU? If so, yes. You could swap the immob and keys too to keep things simple. Not sure what other parts you are thinking, but most things are interchangable between the two cars, just make sure they are the same year as the wiring changed between facelifts, and there are also some year to year changes.
    Which years have an immobilizer?

I want to swap everything to make the engine/tranny swap as simple as possible without having to try to do mods to trick the ECU or any other things like that. I'd only like to swap what I have to, so it wouldn't be a complete reshell

I would just drop the engine/tranny from the eclipse and put it into the Galant. With the existing harness and ECU.

The existing eclipse or galant ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by NickGen8 View Post
    The existing eclipse or galant ecu?
    I'm taking the eclipse ecu