The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Protuninglab CAI for 2.4/3.0L

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Protuninglab CAI for 2.4/3.0L

So I ordered a cold air intake (cai) online before I found this forum. This is the link to the product before I continue with the review, before I go into more detail just for clarification: http://www.protuninglab.com/00miecga243p.html

I've put maybe a couple hundred miles on it, ranging through temps between 20 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I've driven it through snow and slush, mud, dry gravel roads, and through a small ditch (I used a little too much e brake on a corner, lol). I tried to get it dirty because that was my biggest concern because of its placement. After a few weeks now of trying, it's not collecting much dirt whatsoever, so that's a win in my book :)

For the install, it has two parts on the pipes that need to be bolted on the car. Unfortunately, after playing with it for a while, I found only the mount that attaches where the old intake box sat would work. The other mount was hitting some plastic trim or something by the battery and wouldn't line up where it was supposed to go, so I cut it off with a dremel and finished connecting up the pipes and everything else with no further problems.

Ok, on to performance-
    Since I'm cheap and don't have access to a dyno, I tested the change the best way I knew how. Since my car has an auto tranny and shifts at roughly the same rpm when I smash the pedal, I noted what speed I was going when the shifts occured. Probably not very scientific, but I tried to make some benchmark with my available resources. With my stock intake, it would shift out at about 35mph, and then ~63mph. With the cai, it would shift out at 40 and 75, so I assume it's making more power lol.

For as cheap as it is and how easy it was to install, it was definitely worth the money for me. Plus, it still has that sexy intake sound and seems to make more power, so I'm happy with the product. I will make note that the site "special orders" the cai, so it takes a while for it to show up at your house. I got a tracking number within a few days of purchase that never updated, but it took around 3-4 weeks to come in. It was cheap and had free shipping, so didn't conplain.

I also want to make note that I've read of other intake rubbing against the battery mount and getting holes in the pipe, this one sits a good 3 inches or so away for the support, so I don't see that being an issue.

For the product, I'd give it 8/10 because it needed a little modding, and the company 8/10 because I had a quick response from customer support, but the tracking never updated.

Installed on a 2003 V6 3.0L Galant
    I will edit in or put pictures in the comments when it's brighter outside.

Cool man, can't wait too see. I've seen that cai and have been thinking about it. I have the 3.0 too

I checked out that website you put up. Doesn't seem like there is much for galants. Try this one http://www.andysautosport.com

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

prob one of the most common first mods done, nice job on the writeup. however, intakes dont add much horsepower, if not any. also, the "performance measurements" youre guessing dont mean anything. your transmission will shift when it does based on input, temperature, throttle position, etc etc. the transmission is geared the same and shouldnt make a difference on how much power you have. just remember, how much power you have wont change top speed, how long you can rev out each gear or other silly hypothesis, it will change how fast you get to those limits.

Good to know. I just had no other method of measurement available :/