The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: California Dream Custom Spoiler thoughts?

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

California Dream Custom Spoiler thoughts?

This looks a ton like the expensive to import 380 spoiler to me. I've wanted one for awhile and at $99 painted I'm leaning towards trying it out. First I wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts/experience with it though? At worst I try it and have to replace my trunk,lol.

Ebay link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/121744263293?_...25.m3641.l6368

I took the leap and bought a painted one. I'll report here when it arrives.

I bought the spoiler and installed it. Shipping was pretty fast except for a delay due to Xmas, but go figures. The seller was really responsive as well. The way they sell the spoilers painted made me a little leery because I was unfamilar with the process, but everything turned out great.
    Basically you "Buy It Now" on Ebay for the $44 unpainted charge then you message in the comments your paint code (or the color you want I guess). I sent them my factory paint code hoping to get a good match. A day later they send you an authorization to charge you $55 for the paint and you get charged another charge via PayPal. About a week later the spoiler arrived very well packaged. They put a lot of extra padding and stuff on the tips, which I thought was nice. The box was undamaged as was the spoiler.
    opening the box you get 5 pieces of cardboard with a hole in the middle and a peel off stick side around the hole, 3 foam "bumpers"? that are cut to match the parts, 5 license plate screws, and a paper of instructions.

You first unpeel the cover for the sticky parts of the cardboard strips and line up the holes with the holes on the bottom of the spoiler (one per hole).
    Then you line up the spoiler where you want it on the trunk and tape down the cardboard strips to the trunk.
    Really carefully you pull up on the spoiler to break it free from the cardboard strips which leaves the strips on the trunk.
    I used a automatic center punch and punched marks into the paint in the center of the cardboard holes.
    Remove the center brake light from the trunk.
    Using a step bit (unibit) drill holes into the trunk 5/16"
    The hole in the middle drilled down fine, but the holes on the sides ran into some foam like material which I had to clear out of the way by poking the screw through it a few times and fiddling around with it.
    Also, the bit didn't go all the way through the trunk so I guessed where the other side would be and drilled through the bottom side of the trunk to find the top hole. In retrospect, I was pretty dumb to do this so inaccurately. One side has about 4 holes drilled in it, the other has two (I improved my guessing apparently, lol).
    Take the spoiler and put the foam sticker "bumpers" on the bottom of the spoiler where it will meet the trunk.
    Line up the spoiler with the holes and screw the screws in. This took some patience with the middle screw as the space you have to work in is terrible. Luckily you can wedge a full size screwdriver in that space, you just won't have that big of a window to put your hand in with it.

And then it's installed.

Not sure how well this is received on here, but personally I really like how it looks. The science behind having one attached to a car and what improvement this might give the car, I have no clue about. I did this 100% for cosmetics on a daily driver.
    My only complaints are that I noticed a drip and a little buildup of clear coat on the back underside of the spoiler about an inch long. It's not visible and no one would ever notice it, but it sorta bugged me. Also the foam pads are cut terribly. The day I put this on it was cold and I just wanted to get this done (I know terrible mindset) so I didn't cut them better, but I should have. They sit a little funny on the bottom and stick out a tiny bit in places.
    Finally, I bought new screws because the ones they give you are about 1/6" long it seems like. They cant reach from the bottom of the trunk into the spoiler even if you push really hard down on it. This added about $1.20 and a trip to the store for this job.

Here's how it looks, more pics as requested if wanted.