The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Kylecanthurdle's new daily project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Kylecanthurdle's new daily project

So I'm still alive and well, been mia in the project section since i moved to CT and havent had time to get the car to my new place to work on it. In the meantime i have purchased a new daily since i was tired of paying $400/mo for the mazdaspeed and didnt feel like driving a lifted jeep cherokee on 31's everyday.

I found a 2001 Galant on craigslist, ended up getting it for $800 since it had a check engine light and it wouldnt start after the initial startup. (i used that as a negotiating tactic meanwhile i knew instantly it was a bad cam sensor). The guy wanted $2000 from the start and he made the mistake of telling me he was moving the next day and HAD to sell the car. He did let me use his plate and ship it back to him so i didnt wanna kill him on the price. So the car is pretty clean, has 120k miles, not much rust(just a little on the shock tower and on the rear quarters). Interior is mint though. Enough with the text, time for pictures!

Here is the night i picked it up. Not many more pictures since it was getting dark.

Ended up buying a $300 manual 4 cylinder eclipse from someone on craigslist that week that needed a clutch and a bunch of other work. Didnt have a title so when i got what i wanted from it and putt an ad on craigslist for a "FREE CAR" and i got everyone and their mothers calling asking if it ran. Obviously i put that it doesnt have a transmission or engine. Shows that people read what they want to read and ignore everything else. Luckily i got a call from a body shop that ended up needing the entire left side of the car and the only part on the car that was useable was the left side. He took the car off my hands and gave me some bodywork supplies for my donation.

Heres the donor car....

Heres the transmission waiting to be put in.

Now i have a spare engine just in case, of course im going to rebuild it eventually and hold on to it.

Now for the goodies, first week i bought the car i picked up a new style front bumper for $300 from galantman03, a pair of jdm heads on ebay from japan for $175 shipped and a new style grille from another member for $75. Picked up an evo wing in white as well, just need to paint the sides and possibly put it on. Threw the front end on in 2 hours tops after work on day, cut the rad support and removed the crash bar and even wired in HIDs.

No pictures yet, for some reason i never took any but ill edit this post when i do.

So i started a new job powder coating around this time and have been in search of wheels. Was looking into evo wheels but 90% of the people selling them either want top dollar or the wheels are junk. I walk into work one night (was doing double shifts with both jobs when i put my 2 week notice in) and one of the guys are coating a set of 2000 Mustang GT wheels for himself to sell on craigslist, turns out he did them some crazy top coat called chameleon sapphire over gloss black. Prepare for the amazement.....

He ended up asking $100 for them, turns out theyre the same lug pattern and a little bigger hub bore so i got hub rings and bought the rims. Theyre 17x8 so no too big but perfect size for a daily.

Stayed late to do one of my spare valve covers in the same color too....

Before....

After.....

So far this is all ive got, still need tires and coilovers and do all the work but that may be this weekend. Updates to come!

New 8g looks clean, and great idea in buying the parts car for the engine in trans. I need a spare trans too I might borrow your idea since there I haven't had any luck finding one out of the car.

I love that color!!! It will look sweet on the new G for sure!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    New 8g looks clean, and great idea in buying the parts car for the engine in trans. I need a spare trans too I might borrow your idea since there I haven't had any luck finding one out of the car.
    I have another one lined up for $350 if you're interested. He's in Bridgeport ct. Car just doesn't start because of an alarm or ecu issue.

Thanks for the offer and sounds like a good deal but just to far for me.
    Last edited by xd_01; 12-26-2015 at 08:09 AM

I have another spare trans if you want it, new project looks good, if you need parts lmk mine is almost completely apart.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I have another spare trans if you want it, new project looks good, if you need parts lmk mine is almost completely apart.
    you wouldnt happen to have a cheap flywheel would ya?

ended up doing the 5 speed swap today, took it for a ride and have a vibration when the clutch is engaged. never resurfaced the flywheel because the clutch had been wiped out but on the pressure plate side. im suspecting its a bad flywheel because when im backing up and going forward to try to go from a stop it vibrates bad but when im fully engaged i get a less of a vibration.

Heres the front end conversion i finally did.

And here she is getting the new transmission. Also had a set of drilled and slotted from my last galant before i swapped to brembos and a set of brand new pads i had laying around. They were sitting outside for a while so i sandblasted them and coated them with a high temp ceramic coat (like the stuff youd coat headers with). The pad will wear away the spot that touches the rotor and the rest will be protected by rust for a while.

lookie lookie :)

Glad they showed up ok :) enjoy, many a 135+mph track stop on those things, they served me well

ok so ive decided not to go with the brembos. they wont fit with the mustang wheels, and if i were to make them fit id have to install a stupid big spacer and have the lip of the rim stick out beyond the fender. probably just going to refinish the brembos and sell em on craigslist or something.

Why not just buy new wheels?

got a good deal. i dont feel like buying another set and having to get rid of these ones. (nobody is going to want chameleon sapphire mustang wheel lol hence why i got em so cheap) plus any evo wheels are too much money for what theyre worth. plus i was thinking of selling the calipers finished and all coated nicey nice and funding my coilovers.

What coilovers are you looking at? PM me.

You should be able to find a set of wheels that clear BBKs for $400-600 a set.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    You should be able to find a set of wheels that clear BBKs for $400-600 a set.
    thats too much out of my price range. this is a budget daily driver. i got a good deal and bought the calipers and now that they dont fit i can move on to something else. i couldnt pass up the deal i got.

finally got around to doing the calipers. i chose shocker yellow over a heavy sparkle silver. still on the fence if i wanna sell these now that theyre done. found a set of evo wheels for a little more than id like to spend, and the fact that i could sell these brembos for top dollar since theyre freshly coated is swaying me more towards something different.

Blog Entries
    Great Job That Paint Job Look Sparkling Amazing

Ended up biting the bullet and buying a set of evo 9 enkeis with tires from a member on evoM, while i was down picking them up in jersey, i met up with tgc member deeznutz and picked up a spare bumper with fog lights, the center grille and a jackplate. i then bought marc's coilovers and finally put everything on the other night along with a fender roll and a freshly cut, blasted and ceramic coated set of front rotors. still on the fence if i want to put those brembos on since they will now fit. figured i had an egr visor laying around so i cleaned it up, put new double sided tape on and installed it. kind of liking the wingless trunk at the moment. still got a couple more goodies for her. my oh my, never thought id love a car like this again haha.

This looks great! Do you still have the car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast