The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g with 2nd gen eclipse eng/trans

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

8g with 2nd gen eclipse eng/trans

Has anyone successfully used a 2gen eclipse GSX or GST engine/trans setup? Id like to swap into that, but the engine and trans are opposite to the 2.4 8g one. Any info would be great since no one has mentioned it from what i saw.

- - - Updated - - -

8G eng/trans setup

2nd gen eclipse eng/trans
    Diego

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    No because it won't work. You have the Evo 4G63 which is a direct fit at your disposal.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Not possible. The axle shafts would be in front of the engine if it even bolts up

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

if you want that platform just buy a 7g and swap it. 4g63 from an evo which imo is a better engine than that of a 2nd gen eclipse will fit with minor modifications. still will have issues with the pass side motor mount and timing covers but nothing a little fab work wont fix.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Kyle, the 97-99 2g motors are the exact same block as they used in the evos. Pistons and rods changed some and so did the head but the basic block is the same with the thrust washer main bearing design.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Dang I have a 2g eng and trans available and thought MAYBE but I guess that is poop. Wanted to try awd without going evo route which is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Diego

Some guy on fb named tylor lopez from rockford, IL claims he had successfully swapped one in. he sent me a few pictures. let me see if i can dig it up.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Idk if it ever ran properly it was local to me and I've seen the car around but never saw under the hood but the pics don't look shopped to me. He's gotten rid of the car since
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by galantv600 View Post
    Has anyone successfully used a 2gen eclipse GSX or GST engine/trans setup? Id like to swap into that, but the engine and trans are opposite to the 2.4 8g one. Any info would be great since no one has mentioned it from what i saw.

- - - Updated - - -

8G eng/trans setup

2nd gen eclipse eng/trans
    My mistake. I read that wrong. I thought you wanted just the transmission. I'm sure it's possible to swap the engine and trans in. I'm not saying it would be easy, but pretty much anything is possible if you're willing to invest the time and money

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Its cool idea and obviously doable, dont know if I would wanna get into that headache though. From that pic it looks like he had to cut off the driverside trans mount and make a new one where the fuse box use to be. You can see the harnesss to the fuse box stretch over that area and the box pushed forward. Im sure something similar was done on the pass side.

The only thing that I dont like about that if its tru is the angles of the axles change which probaly isnt a big deal but moving the engine/trans forward could negatively effect the handling of the car, possibly raising the center of gravity. Which is fine if you dont mind losing some handling but probaly isnt too noticeable.

But definitely a cool swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    Kyle, the 97-99 2g motors are the exact same block as they used in the evos. Pistons and rods changed some and so did the head but the basic block is the same with the thrust washer main bearing design.
    maybe because i was doing it on a budget and half-assed but i have always had bad luck with a dsm 63. left a bad taste in my mouth and i promised myself id never get another one again.