The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help with lowering

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Help with lowering

I just got me a 9g like 6mos ago and i would like to lower it about 2". Any advise on lowering my 06 galant? Im looking at megan springs and tein s tech. Would i need aftermarket struts too?

Thanks guys.

I used Eibach Pro Series springs on mine with regular ol' Monroe Struts (OESpectrum).
    After install someone on here advised that Monroe makes terrible struts and I should have used KYB instead. Besides not tightening then down enough I've had zero problems though. Take that for what you will. From what I've read here and other places using lowering springs on OEM or less then struts is much harder on the strut and the struts will wear out faster because of it. Still, it's the most cost effective way to lower the car.

With the Eibach my back looks lower then the front which I think is due to the fact they are made for the Eclipse so the coils drop the front and back an equal amount. Not sure if something like the Megan springs made for 9G's make a more even looking drop or not. To guarantee an even drop you can really shell out some coin and get some coil overs instead and manually adjust the drop to how much you want. I personally went with the Eibachs over the Megans because I didn't want to completely bottom out the car and the Eibachs drop seemed to be just right to me. I heard/seen the Teins look really good too.

That's my nice answer, but for future reference if you search the forums here there's TONS of posts on lowering 9G's and with what. In fact, if you search you can see a lotta great examples of 9G's lowered on different combinations of equipment. That being said I gave you a nice answer because I too, didn't search here and first posted near this exact same post as did many others before me.

Not the best picture to see exactly how low the car is, but here's mine for reference.

Thanks for the response. I also read about the camber alignment and the kits. Do you know how to install those? I might go with teins and use stock struts for now. I'll do the kyb struts next. What do you think?

I don't have anything for camber alignment and don't know much about it. I'm getting an alignment in a few days though so if I need anything additional I can tell you from my experience. I'm somewhat of a novice so I leave certain things I don't have experience with/equipment for to professionals. AFAIK I'm good just having put springs on and getting an alignment. My car drives really good right now besides my tire wear patterns. The springs have possibly resulted in excessive positive camber (http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Symptoms/Tire-Wear/) but like I said I'd need equipment to see for certain of my alignment needs. I'll report back after I get the alignment done.

Hey how's the wear on your tires? Did you need to install camber kit?

I never used a camber kit. I have some outside wear on my tires, but I think I need an alignment and never had that done after the drop, so it very well could be from that.

i also used the EIBACH springs. i got an alignment done at the same time, too, so i never had an issue with anything. i'll post a picture of how it sits in my thread tomorrow.
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE

I can also recommend Eibach. Great company.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

here's what the car looks like sitting on the EIBACH PRO SERIES springs:

as you can see, the rear sits a little lower. this is because the EIBACH springs were made for the ECLIPSE, whose rear end weighs less than ours. i've searched far and wide and nobody makes GALANT-specific lowering springs for the 9Gs (regardless of how they're advertised, they're manufactured for the ECLPISE. they just happen to fit our cars, too). the only way you'll be able to achieve a perfectly even drop is with coilovers.
    Last edited by WEAPONS-GRADE; 08-08-2016 at 10:09 AM
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE