The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fog light install on ES

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Fog light install on ES

I have a 2004 Galant ES and I want to add fog lights to it how hard would that be to do? I picked up the fog light switch from the junk yard today. So what steps do I need to take to add fog lights? Also next to the dimmer switch and fog light button what would the third button be for? I don't have one.

I just put foglights in my 2007. You need a relay, the dash switch, and the lights. Mine were prewired. After I did a lot of searching the only fog lights I found compatible for my car specifically were these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
    The price includes the switch and the relay though. No clue where to get them separate except from the dealer.

Installation: (Copied from my Amazon review)

This was a pleasant surprise. Buying this comes with everything you need to install fog lights in your car. I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Galant SE and it was VERY difficult tracking down the parts I needed. Most websites list the wrong fog lights, and unfortunately I ended up buying a pair before this that was not even close to working. Many sites list incompatible fog lights. I contacted the local dealership and after supplying them with my VIN was told my car was "Canadian" and the parts could not be guaranteed. If I chose to buy them I could not return them if they didn't work. On top of that they wanted $55 per light, plus $45 for the fog light switch, $7 for each bracket, and another $30 for the relay!
    Enter this Amazon product. First off you get the lights, the brackets, the interior dash switch, a relay, and some screws +printed instructions. That's every thing you need except the wiring, and guess what? The car is prewired.

Install is so easy I literally did this entire job in 15 minutes in the dark after work with a flashlight. Instructions are a little dark so in case you're interested here's the steps:

1) Under your front bumper remove the black plastic panel covering your access to the back of the front bumper (or don't if it doesn't exist my car actually had these pieces broke off, it's common)

2) Unscrew the 3 screws surrounding the fog light hole covers and remove the covers. Get rid of the covers but KEEP THE SCREWS. Detach the fog light connector from the fog light covers.

3) Insert the light into the bracket. It'll line up with the holes in the back of the bracket and clip in place but still be loose. Line up the two holes in the back of the bracket with the holes in the light and screw in the SUPPLIED screws to hold the light firmly to the bracket.

4) Under the car again attach the bracket with the lights in them to the bumper with the 3 screws once used to attach the fog light hole cover. The passengers side is a little pain in the butt because there's less space to work in and the windshield washer fluid reservoir gets in the way of a full size screw driver on one side. The screws go in really easy if you are putting them in at the correct angle, so if you have a short screwdriver or one of those screwdrivers with the tip that removes and has both a phillips/flathead then you can just use that piece with your hands to easily tighten that screw down. After it's attached plug in the fog light connector to the light.

5) Pop the hood and open the fuse box on the drivers side (next to the battery) and look at the fuse box cover. It will illustrate the direction of the front of the car and show you via pictures what each area is for and what fuse to use. Locate the fog light relay spot and plug in the relay (the little box with the 4 prongs on the bottom). Note that the relay has a little triangle and it should be facing you. In fact it should be next to an identical relay. You'll put this relay in right next to it the exact same way. The picture on the fuse box cover matches the picture on the switch so look for that one.

6) Open the drivers door and remove the panel directly under the steering wheel. It should have 3 screws holding it in place on the bottom and then pop off on the top. Let it hang down as the hood release is attached to it and there's no reason to detach this unless you just want to do more work. Next you want to remove the panel that is a little above the removed panel and is to the left of the steering wheel. This area has your switch to control the brightness of your dash at night as well as two "empty" spaces with covers stuck in them. This piece pops out if you pull on it. Unplug the two connectors from the back of this panel. The blue one connects to the dash dimmer, the white one is plugged into a hole cover. Remove the hole cover that the white connector was attached to. Do this easily to taking a screwdriver and pushing in on the little tabs on each side until the cover is free and will slide out backwards ("push" the cover like its a button when free). Once it's out attach the new fog light switch in place. Mind that the tabs are different sizes so that the switch only clicks in one way. Plug the white connector into the fog light switch and the blue connector into the dimmer switch (I know that's weird because the back of the fog light switch is blue, go figure). Pop everything back in, replace the panels, screws, etc...

7) Test it out. Turn on the car, the fog light switch should illuminate blue. Purdy... Flip on your lights and press the fog light switch. The fog lights should kick on. You will also see a green fog light light on your console showing you it's on. Go ahead and make your adjustments to the bulb angle . It's accessible with everything attached from the front. Just tighten or loosen the screw until it's set how you want.

Congratulations you've installed your fog lights for a fraction of what the dealership would change you. Enjoy

Last edited by mcshinigami; 01-20-2016 at 05:58 PM

Does anyone know if the foglights are canbus? I was thinking of installing an LED light, but afraid it might throw a code.