The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 05 galant gts 3.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34
    Lindsey

05 galant gts 3.8

I work on cars for a living but my car is killing me. Changed the timing belt it'll crank but don't start. Throwing random multiple misfire code. Everything under hood is practically new. Any answers would be great thank you.

The first thing that comes to mind. Have you checked the position of the timing marks?
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

Lindsey
    Timing points r perfect. It'll start but runs like shit and will stop running if I don't stay on the gas.

Throwing any codes? I'm thinking crank or cam sensors

Crank or cam sensor if your timing is correct. make sure your oil pump is correctly lined up or bye bye birdie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lindsey
    ended up taking it to a shop for the work BC I'm working to much and I DROVE it there, they changed timing belt, and now it'll crank but won't start. I'm so pissed that I could scream. This is dat four without my car, and they are having a more experienced mechanic look at it tomorrow BC they said they think the oil pump went out well the car was running when I took it there oil light never came on. Only codes were oxygen sensor codes and the lady tried to say the oxygen sensor codes are the same as timing and no their not. The obd 2 scanner will not tell u a timing code. Idk what to do or what has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    ended up taking it to a shop for the work BC I'm working to much and I DROVE it there, they changed timing belt, and now it'll crank but won't start. I'm so pissed that I could scream. This is dat four without my car, and they are having a more experienced mechanic look at it tomorrow BC they said they think the oil pump went out well the car was running when I took it there oil light never came on. Only codes were oxygen sensor codes and the lady tried to say the oxygen sensor codes are the same as timing and no their not. The obd 2 scanner will not tell u a timing code. Idk what to do or what has happened.
    I believe the oil pump must be lined up, unlike other cars. The 2.4 liter has a 3 for 1 ratio.

Lindsey
    Mines a 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Mines a 3.8
    I know but I'm thinking its still true fir your car. Could be wrong, but the fact your oil pump died is very very specific. How many miles are on the car? Unless you have super super high miles your oil pump should be mint. I'm guessing the oil pump needs to be lined up and you didn't do that or they didn't do it either. There's no reason for oil pump to fail because of a timing belt job other than improper timing of the pump.

It was very common in the early 2000's for secondary shops to blow up Mitsubishi Motors because of that, they just see oil pump and assume it doesn't have to be lined up like most other cars then they start the car and it runs like shit, they think they have the timing off and they don't realize it's the oil pump. Also with the way the motor is positioned it's difficult to keep track of everything and it's possible to move something. I like straight motors that you can see everything, that way you can take out the bumper and have full view.

Last edited by Brianfly; 02-01-2016 at 08:46 PM

Lindsey
    Crazy thing is my car was running when I took it to them now it'll crank but won't start.

- - - Updated - - -

And only 116k

- - - Updated - - -

I dropped it off there for low idle in park and neutral. It's like it was choking up. But now they made it to where my damn car won't even start.

best to download the repair manual for the 9g galant and check if you installed everything correctly including timing.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Ggts View Post
    best to download the repair manual for the 9g galant and check if you installed everything correctly including timing.
    This*

Lindsey
    how do I submit pictures?

I take that back, when you post a comment there are options in the dialog box.

Click on quick reply then you will see a hatch mark with in a circle in that text box. Select it, a more detailed response one will open.

Lindsey
    timing is lined up crank and cam sensor changed. Car still will only crank, but won't start

Bent valves?

Lindsey
    Nope valves r good. I'm so lost

Did you use OEM crank and cam sensors? Do they have the Mitsubishi part number and logo on them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast