The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wheel hopping or thumping on left turns?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Wheel hopping or thumping on left turns?

So, I've had some suspension issues on my 2001 Galant GTZ for a while, but I'm not an expert on the subject. I took it in for repair and they replaced the sway bar links and bushings, and it cured some clunky sounds that the front end had been making, which was nice. However, there is still an issue that's kind of bugging me. When I turn left and accelerate a little hard out of the turn, it feels like the front wheel is thumping or hopping. It's more of a feel through the steering wheel than a noise. There is no strange wear on the tire, and the feeling only happens on left turns. I also had someone drive the car on the freeway while I watched it and there was no wheel hop, so I think the shocks/struts are fine. I found a thread on here where a dude had a similar problem and it looks like he cured it by replacing the hub assembly and bearings on the wheel. Does anyone know if this is for sure, the culprit of the issue and is it difficult to replace this myself?

2001 Galant GTZ

So, you are saying the left tire seems to 'hop' or 'thump' only on left turns?

I would guess it is coming from the passenger tire, but yes, it only happens when accelerating out of a left turn.

2001 Galant GTZ

I would suggest that not only the hub bearings be inspected, but inspect the axles and motor and transmission mounts. While under the car, you may as well inspect the tie rods and ball joints for play. It is possible any of those could bind on turning, especially on hard turning.

^^^^This as well as control arm bushings.

I am not sure if my extra set of 2000 V6 tie rod ends will fit your 2001 GTZ or not, but if so you can have them for the shipping cost.