The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clarification Needed for Aftermarket Stereo For 2001 Galant GTZ

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Clarification Needed for Aftermarket Stereo For 2001 Galant GTZ

Hi Guys,

I just acquired a 2001 Galant and want to work on it as a new hobby of mine. I am new to the world of cars, so I need some help from you guys.

So I have spent a lot of time on this forum and I can see that there is a lot of info available on installing aftermarket stereos. I have read this and would like to confirm my understanding with you guys.

The stock unit in the Galant right now is a "Mitsubishi P913 Infinity System". I purchased a new Single DIN head unit from Amazon with a screen and a rear view camera attachment.

The steps as I understand them are -
    0. Disconnect battery (Is this necessary?)
    1. Take out the dash trim
    2. Need to unscrew the AC unit because some of the screws for the stock unit are covered by it
    3. Take out stock unit
    4. Purchase a Metra 70-7001 wiring harness
    5. Match the colored wires on the Metra harness with my new unit
    6. Connect the Metra harness to the original harness
    7. Connect rear view camera wireless transmitter to RCA-Video In
    8. (Where will the wireless transmitter draw it power from?)
    9. Close up everything

Did I get it right?
    In all this process, will I need to do any splicing, since I have purchased the Metra 70-7001 harness?
    Will I need to do something special for the grounding?
    Will I need to do something to take care of the power for the new unit?
    When linking the colored wires, Is it better to use wire connectors or just tape is fine?

I have attached pictures of the new unit for reference. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Yes your process sounds right, although I cannot say anything about the back up camera because I have never done one of those before. It cant be that hard though. Make sure to just remove the bezel around the headunit, you don't need to take out the full dash. Normally matching the wires is ca safe bet when connecting the headunit to the wiring harness, but I'd still look at a wiring diagram to make sure everything matches up correctly.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Make sure you get the harness for a galant with infiniti system. Your car has an amp, so you will need the harness that connects your new radio to the amp. Unless you plan on rewiring the speakers to bypass the amp.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion