The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installed a set of LED Headlights in JM Auto's Projector headlights

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Installed a set of LED Headlights in JM Auto's Projector headlights

Hey guys! I was both excited to share this and a bit timid because I'm new... but this week I installed a set of 60w CREE H1 LEDs in JM Auto's projector headlights. I had my wife get in the passenger seat and take some video driving at night, and am writing this post so that anyone who has fears of updating from HID to LED ... doesn't worry about light output or quality when using projectors. It can be really tough to tell what the truth is when shopping for lighting solutions- I know... everyone of those blasted example pictures is overexposed and brightness/contrast adjusted to the max. So, here is my opinion, and I did my best to make it straight up instead of oversold.

This is the picture of what I got.

(Idk how to make this picture smaller? I am not selling the things!)

From the overexposed pictures from china I was skeptical about the true brightness or quality of what I was about to buy, but seeing how it was only 40-50 bucks, I bit.

I had some difficulty getting them to fit in the H1 socket (which on the original, old JM Auto Projectors the low beam was H1)- This was because on the back of the bulb is a giant heatsink and it clashed with the mounting clip for the headlight. It took some patience, but got it to fit nicely with a bit of adjustment to the clip with some needle noses. After the bulbs were in, it was as simple as plugging a little module in to my old kit's plug. (I got an HID -> Led retrofit kit)

After installing, I found out fast that the LEDs I bought were pretty substantial. Immediate wowness. After about 4 years, the set of 4500k HID lights I had installed in the projector housings were starting to flicker (ballasts failing?) and the color output wasn't pleasing anymore-it seemed they were getting bluer and bluer. (Is that a thing?) Anyway... The CREE led set I ordered from ebay was 45.99, and was well worth it. Everything in the kit feels way more solid and substantial, much tougher feeling than my old JLM ballast kit. The lights do not flicker, they do not have to warm up or take any time at all to get up to speed. Immediate super brightness.

I made a video driving at night with the LED/Projector combo:
    https://youtu.be/w-JHhX7iSq8
    But I still need to align headlights but wanted to get a shot of the light quality and color

-edit- (link to ebay deleted)

I am super impressed at how solid and easy on the eyes the led's are. At first I was skeptical that they wouldn't be able to even touch the power of the HIDs. But they are actually brighter. But again, I still need to adjust my headlights. So I'm pretty happy. I hope this post is helpful to someone out there, who knows when in the future.

If anyone is wondering, in the video you can hear my car a bit. Thats the interior sound of having a flow master 40 muffler on the v6 gtz. Most of the other noise is my loud ass coat and camera shuffles.

Hoper this was helpful! Later guys.
    Last edited by TheEternalConflict; 10-15-2016 at 08:21 PM Reason: To delete a wrong link

Niceee for mi 9g thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-G928T mediante Tapatalk

thanks for your post

Quote Originally Posted by TheEternalConflict View Post
    Hey guys! I was both excited to share this and a bit timid because I'm new... but this week I installed a set of 60w CREE H1 LEDs in JM Auto's projector headlights. I had my wife get in the passenger seat and take some video driving at night, and am writing this post so that anyone who has fears of updating from HID to LED ... doesn't worry about light output or quality when using projectors. It can be really tough to tell what the truth is when shopping for lighting solutions- I know... everyone of those blasted example pictures is overexposed and brightness/contrast adjusted to the max. So, here is my opinion, and I did my best to make it straight up instead of oversold.

This is the picture of what I got.

(Idk how to make this picture smaller? I am not selling the things!)

From the overexposed pictures from china I was skeptical about the true brightness or quality of what I was about to buy, but seeing how it was only 40-50 bucks, I bit.

I had some difficulty getting them to fit in the H1 socket (which on the original, old JM Auto Projectors the low beam was H1)- This was because on the back of the bulb is a giant heatsink and it clashed with the mounting clip for the headlight. It took some patience, but got it to fit nicely with a bit of adjustment to the clip with some needle noses. After the bulbs were in, it was as simple as plugging a little module in to my old kit's plug. (I got an HID -> Led retrofit kit)

After installing, I found out fast that the LEDs I bought were pretty substantial. Immediate wowness. After about 4 years, the set of 4500k HID lights I had installed in the projector housings were starting to flicker (ballasts failing?) and the color output wasn't pleasing anymore-it seemed they were getting bluer and bluer. (Is that a thing?) Anyway... The CREE led set I ordered from ebay was 45.99, and was well worth it. Everything in the kit feels way more solid and substantial, much tougher feeling than my old JLM ballast kit. The lights do not flicker, they do not have to warm up or take any time at all to get up to speed. Immediate super brightness.

I made a video driving at night with the LED/Projector combo:
    https://youtu.be/w-JHhX7iSq8
    But I still need to align headlights but wanted to get a shot of the light quality and color

Here is a link to what I bought:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201369308474

I am super impressed at how solid and easy on the eyes the led's are. At first I was skeptical that they wouldn't be able to even touch the power of the HIDs. But they are actually brighter. But again, I still need to adjust my headlights. So I'm pretty happy. I hope this post is helpful to someone out there, who knows when in the future.

If anyone is wondering, in the video you can hear my car a bit. Thats the interior sound of having a flow master 40 muffler on the v6 gtz. Most of the other noise is my loud ass coat and camera shuffles.

Hoper this was helpful! Later guys.
    Thank you for taking the time to post this helps me out well done lights look great !

You're welcome. I hoped it would be helpful. When in projector assemblies, the LEDs work well. I'm not sure how they work in other distributed assemblies.