The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shift flare

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

shift flare

Back story on car...03 gallant 2.4. Bought it last tax season. Drove for a while and noticed occasional 2-3 flare. Usually worse after warmed up. Took and had fluid drained and refilled. Fluid wasn't in bad shape. Later I found out spiii only. Have yet to put right fluid in. Every other gear including rev to drive is great. No bang into 3rd, just rev and go into gear...thoughts?

Yes I know about tsb but it says to test tips voltage then run through gears 5 times and if it doesn't quit then od/rev clutch assembly and back plate replacement...but it doesn't do it all the time

Anybody??? The flare don't happen every 2-3 shift...

So, let me try to understand what you are saying. You had the occasional flare that you noticed since you bought the car. You drained and refilled the fluid, but you did NOT use SPIII?? You have not yet changed the fluid back to SPIII? If that's the case, I would say start with changing all the fluid back to SPIII (not just a single drain and refill). Our cars are especially fussy about non conforming fluid.

What's the best way to get out all the old fluid? I have like 10qts of spiii on hand. I really don't think its actual the tranny because if it was I would think it would do it every 2-3 upshift. Thanks for the advice.