The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Big bolt missing from lower control arm

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Big bolt missing from lower control arm

Hey guys a little while back I put up a post about a creaking I was experiencing. Took it to a mechanic and got it on a lift one of the big main bolts in the right lower control arm is missing , the mechanic says he would have to punch a whole in my frame in order to get the new bolt in to place, I was just curious if this is true that he will in fact need to cut my frame, also if cutting it isn't necessary to get a new bolt in is there a easy way of doing it myself I don't have a picture of the bolt that's missing but it's one of the biggest bolts holding the control arm on. The left side is still there but the right side is completely missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not have a repair manual for my car and have only had it a month and a half so not really familiar with it yet. Thank you for your help ahead of time

Heres some pics of the left side so you will be able to clearly see what's all there so you will spot what's missing

[

OK now here is the right side with the missing bolt

Is this simply just a matter of getting a new bolt and putting it back in or is there more to it?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope someone can help me with this he also told me my cradle bolts are stripped out are those something I can replace myself or no?

Big bolt missing from lower control arm

Get a frame bolt and bolt it in. Make sure it's not stripped. That is a subframe bolt you are missing BTW. Nothing needs to be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Get a frame bolt and bolt it in. Make sure it's not stripped. That is a subframe bolt you are missing BTW. Nothing needs to be cut.

Thanks for the response there is a couple galants in the local junk yards I'm gonna try and pull the right side one out of a couple of them tomorrow and see what shape there in, definitely appreciate any advice.

Any idea about the cradle bolts he said were stripped can those be replaced fairly easily? I don't have my repair service manual so makes it a little harder to find out these things I'll have to buy a new repair manual soon enough

Cradle bolts? Never heard of those

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

what camera did you use to take those pics look shella hd
    *RIP* my 4g64
    Hello my 6g72

There part of the subframe it doesn't seem they can be removed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 8GLover View Post
    what camera did you use to take those pics look shella hd
    It's a Pentax K3 I love it I wasn't trying to get good shots really just took some quick snaps to show the area, but when you really wanna get some nice shots this camera does a great job had it a little over a year now took it all kinds of places even buried it in sand at the beach and no issues :) great resolution to and now they have came out with the pentax k3 mini which is a upgraded but more expensive version my also the k3 won European camera of the year award for 2015

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I was able to find a single bolt out of the 3 galants in the local junk yard that had a good bolt for me to use and free of charge even better yet :)

Is that bolt torqued at around 100lb? seems strange they just fall out ?