The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g(2000 galant v6) keeps stalling

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

8g(2000 galant v6) keeps stalling

Starts up a little rough then after a couple seconds balances out at 1500 rpm. When i put it into neutral idle stays the same. When i put it into drive or reverse idles gets low and as i let off the brake or press the gas my car sputters and stalls.

I have headers without pre cats so i know my 02 downstream sensor will f up. But could that be the problem cause? I already replaced the spark plug wires, and plugs. Cleaned the injectors, throttle body, iac, egr, maf with all proper cleaning supplies. I replaced my iac with 2 other iac and it still had stalling problem. Doesnt sound like i have a leak anywhere so what could be wrong. My gas is close to e but not there yet. Idk could that be the problem?

Please help
    *RIP* my 4g64
    Hello my 6g72

Can you try disconnecting the MAF sensor and see if the runs better? I had a similar issue when my MAF was bad on my 4 cyl.

Quote Originally Posted by 8GLover View Post
    Starts up a little rough then after a couple seconds balances out at 1500 rpm. When i put it into neutral idle stays the same. When i put it into drive or reverse idles gets low and as i let off the brake or press the gas my car sputters and stalls.

I have headers without pre cats so i know my 02 downstream sensor will f up. But could that be the problem cause? I already replaced the spark plug wires, and plugs. Cleaned the injectors, throttle body, iac, egr, maf with all proper cleaning supplies. I replaced my iac with 2 other iac and it still had stalling problem. Doesnt sound like i have a leak anywhere so what could be wrong. My gas is close to e but not there yet. Idk could that be the problem?

Please help
    Did you have any difficulty changing your spark plugs out on your v6? I'm about to do that on mine this coming weekend.

I'd also check and make sure you put the MAF sensor back on the right way some people have installed them backwards and have issues such as stalling and weird idle

Any codes? I'd fix those O2 sensors. Easy and cheap. It could be a lot of things, my next check would be the MAF. Anything other than the proper NGK or Denso plugs can do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by KhaosGalant View Post
    Did you have any difficulty changing your spark plugs out on your v6? I'm about to do that on mine this coming weekend.

I'd also check and make sure you put the MAF sensor back on the right way some people have installed them backwards and have issues such as stalling and weird idle
    By design, it is impossible to install the MAF backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Any codes? I'd fix those O2 sensors. Easy and cheap. It could be a lot of things, my next check would be the MAF. Anything other than the proper NGK or Denso plugs can do that too.

By design, it is impossible to install the MAF backwards.
    There's threads on here about some people who have installed it wrong and had issues that's why I mentioned it

Thanks for replying i fixed the o2 sensors. Car doesnt have any codes now but will still stall if i dont keep my foot on the pedal while in gear. It can sometimes catch itself before it stalls but %90 of the time the car just dies.

I am trying to test my IAC which is a 6 pin.

similar to this

(heres the top where the harness clipper is)
    1-2-3
    4-5-6

It has 12v pin 2 and 5. I looked all over online and cant find any info on what volatage pins 1,3,4 or 6 should be when the key is out and when the key is in the on position.

COuld someone please do this voltage check for when the keys off and on and let me know what youre readings are. I really love my galant and invested so much into here. Please do help me out
    *RIP* my 4g64
    Hello my 6g72

In your first post you mentioned that you already tried replacing the IAC with two other IACs and you had the same issue. Did you try the suggestion I made about the MAF Sensor?

yes and the car runs even worse when maf is unplugged. I think i installed my 02 sensors wrong an dmight have the upstream where the downstream is suppost to go and vice versa. Could anyone let me know which sensor color wire is for the upstream and downstream
    *RIP* my 4g64
    Hello my 6g72

My car stalled out yesterday with these same issues. the minute the rpm drops down it stalls. could i have an alternator problem?

Quote Originally Posted by dac9050 View Post
    My car stalled out yesterday with these same issues. the minute the rpm drops down it stalls. could i have an alternator problem?
    I dont think so try hooking your car up to a scanner and look at the fuel trims when cars idling and when you press the air pedal. I fuel trims tell me theres too much air going into my engine then the sensors say. I am sure my car doesnt have a vacum leak so it must be my maf. I looked in my maf and saw the wire has rust/corrosion on it. So i went ahead and ordered another maf hopefully it fixes my problem. If youre car still runs when coming to a stop while you hav yoru foot slightly down on the air pedal then you have an air leak somewhere or a maf,map is bad. Or your tps is bad/out of calibration or you have a faulty/dirty idle air control sensor. Those wouldd cause stalling when slowing down
    *RIP* my 4g64
    Hello my 6g72

my car is still stalling if fully cold. But I adjusted the accelerator cable in the engine bay which has the rpm a bit higher and it allows the car to stay on. When the car is warm I have no issues turning it on.
    Caution: the slightest adjustment of cable makes a big different.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk