The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: idle increases when parked

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    irishpunk

idle increases when parked

Ok when I am parked and have the car in either neutral or park and I turn the wheel slightly, the cars RPMs raise about 300 to 400 RPMs more. Does anyone know why the car would do this. I haven't noticed this before and if no-one knows what could be causing this then I'll end up going to the dealer. Although it could be their fault anyways seeing as how I just had my car worked on a couple weeks ago.

clone2020

Re: idle increases when parked

Quote Originally Posted by irishpunk
    Ok when I am parked and have the car in either neutral or park and I turn the wheel slightly, the cars RPMs raise about 300 to 400 RPMs more. Does anyone know why the car would do this. I haven't noticed this before and if no-one knows what could be causing this then I'll end up going to the dealer. Although it could be their fault anyways seeing as how I just had my car worked on a couple weeks ago.
    Yeah, my car does it too.

I've noticed that a lot of other 8G owners have the same problem.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i dont know about 8Gs, but my 7G raises about 300-400rpm when its in park or neutral, and goes down to a deathly low un-adjustable 500rpm when its in a gear. also, when i accelerate with the a/c on, the a/c feels like someone turned it up a notch, then when i let off the gas, it goes back down.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Senior TGC Member
    The power steering needs power...car thus revs a tad higher to power it.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyxsius
    The power steering needs power...car thus revs a tad higher to power it.

That makes sense... Thanks...

My steering wheel vibrates while idling too. What do you think it could be? steering? joints? cables? etc?

-Mike.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    lol, mine to.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

irishpunk
    yeah, I asked my roommate about that idle increase and he said its normal. Like Phyx said, it needs power to run the power steering so it increases the idle on the motor so that the motor won't die. As for the a/c kick thats relatively the same story, your a/c will blow however hard at idle, but the minute the revs increase it starts running at its fuller efficiency rate. But it tones down at idle so it doesn't suck too much power from the engine.

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clone2020
    My steering wheel vibrates while idling too. What do you think it could be? steering? joints? cables? etc?

-Mike.
    That I dunno know...it could be many things. Mine is caused by new firm motor mounts...it not only translates to vibration through the steering wheel, but it makes my car a free massage session for anyone who rides. It's rather nice actually...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison