The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Very strange charging problem - Please help!

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Very strange charging problem - Please help!

Okay, guys, here's the skinny. This gets complicated but please bear with me. '99 galant, 2.4 liter. I have owned the car for almost a year and a half, with numerous occasions on which it needed a jumpstart. As of now the starter and the positive and negative battery cables have been replaced. The car does have an aftermarket alarm which had the siren disconnected when I bought the car. The alarm would go off, which resulted in the high beams flashing for several minutes and draining the battery enough in cold weather to require a jump. Or so I thought. I ended up ziptying down the hood switch which was causing that problem. Thought I was all set until this morning after starting the car with no trouble and driving to a nearby store, I needed a jump upon leaving. Two jumps, actually, because when I closed the hood after jumping it the engine stopped dead and it needed another jump to get it going. And a third jump after I stopped at my house whereupon I drove it straight to Advance and a test of the charging system showed nothing wrong. The car worked fine all day long until the drive home when the lights dimmed and the battery and brake warning lights both started blinking in unison. Before getting home, this behavior stopped and the car did restart, but while it was happening, it was obvious that there was a huge drain on the electrical system. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas to help me track this down? Drivin me nuts, man.

I recently had issues with am old battery and my positive terminal. Replaced the battery then figured out it was this massive box on my positive terminal. (Forgive my professional language in naming parts) the connection was being was not made enough to keep the car on when I came to a stop. I know it sounds simple but worth a check.. I took it apart cleaned it up and it's pretty much taken care of my issues..

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for getting back. It actually was the same problem you had.