The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gates water pump - Anybody had issues with??????

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Icon5 Gates water pump - Anybody had issues with??????

I am curious if anybody had issues with gates water pump on galant (part number 42585, also included in TCKWP340 kit). On amazon two reviewers out of four posted they had issues with it.

I had a gates water pump leak out of the weep hole after only 30k. I replaced it with OEM to hopefully avoid that issue from repeating.

However, my issue was on a V6, so it doesn't directly relate other than the brand and possibly their quality control.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    I had a gates water pump leak out of the weep hole after only 30k. I replaced it with OEM to hopefully avoid that issue from repeating.

However, my issue was on a V6, so it doesn't directly relate other than the brand and possibly their quality control.
    I saw you advice someone to gate or contitech(OEM) belt. Contitech is making full kit

http://crpcatalog.com/TB340-341LK1.html

Should I try to get this one instead of gates.
    Last edited by Ruturaj; 06-25-2016 at 11:30 AM

I've had 2 gates timing belts go so I'm trying dayco next. Go the timing kit with water pump on rock auto.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I've had 2 gates timing belts go so I'm trying dayco next. Go the timing kit with water pump on rock auto.
    Are you suggesting to get gates timing kit? I am skeptical about that water pump only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruturaj View Post
    I am curious if anybody had issues with gates water pump on galant (part number 42585, also included in TCKWP340 kit). On amazon two reviewers out of four posted they had issues with it.
    I have the Gates timing belt kit that included the water pump you're talking about. It literally took only a year after I put it in before it started to squeak. I haven't had the time yet to replace it with probably an oem one. But other than that, I haven't had any other issues regarding the Gates kit. I did it about 2.5 years ago and I haven't been easy on the car since I've done it, like dyno it, drag race it on the strip, those sort of things. At about 180K miles. Literally just have to deal with a squeak until I replace it again.

Quote Originally Posted by #1GALANTFAN View Post
    I have the Gates timing belt kit that included the water pump you're talking about. It literally took only a year after I put it in before it started to squeak. I haven't had the time yet to replace it with probably an oem one. But other than that, I haven't had any other issues regarding the Gates kit. I did it about 2.5 years ago and I haven't been easy on the car since I've done it, like dyno it, drag race it on the strip, those sort of things. At about 180K miles. Literally just have to deal with a squeak until I replace it again.
    Thanks. I did put contitech parts instead of gates.