The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator overcharging and 1 week old battery wont hold charge

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Alternator overcharging and 1 week old battery wont hold charge

Hello,

I have a 99 Galant es and this is the first time iv'e had a real issue with it. Before it wouldn't start I measured the power the alternator was putting out and it was a little high at around 17.6 amps. I did this right after I installed a brand new battery. About four days ago my car would not start. I did some research but have yet to come to a concrete answer before I get it towed to a shop. I turned my key and heard a click. On accessory it works but it would not turn over even after trying to jump it. I then gave the starter a few hits with my tire iron and a hammer since it was a bit hard to get to. After doing this jumping it worked and the car was started. I let it sit on for about 7 minutes and then tried to move it from the street into my driveway but after moving 200 feet in drive the car shut off. I put it in neutral and parked back on the street.

Does anyone know what it could be that I have to replace?

measure the voltage on the battery. if your alternator is overcharging then change that asap. you may also have a bad starter since you needed to hit it to get it to work.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Thank you. ordering a new alternator today. I forgot to mention that my battery icon came on recently and when I researched into that i found out it is a charging system warning. Is there any ways to test condition of my starter?

Quote Originally Posted by gore9878 View Post
    Thank you. ordering a new alternator today. I forgot to mention that my battery icon came on recently and when I researched into that i found out it is a charging system warning. Is there any ways to test condition of my starter?
    Why do u want to test the starter?? It has nothing to do with charging system. But there is a way to bench test the starter off the car. There should be YouTube videos of it.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Do you mean 17.6 volts? Op stated amps, if amps it's not enough and if volts too much. I would remove both starter and alternator and have a local parts store bench test most of them do this for free. I have had to replace starters that were wreaking having on the electrical system, even though they sounded fine and started car ok just drew too many amps. Isolate the problem before you waste $ on parts you may not need.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at

Thank you for the response. I will be coming into a parts shop this weekene.

Thanks for the response and thank you everyone for the help. I will be taking a trip to AutoZone this weeend.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk