The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to change automatic shift knob?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

how to change automatic shift knob?

I want to change my shift knob out for this...

http://raceconsultingagency.com/i-15...jDYxoCdePw_wcB

Anyone know how?thanks

The trigger on the automatic shift knob presses down a shaft inside the shifter "stick" that unlocks it and allows it to move. The one you linked won't have that.

If you want to fit it onto the car, it *might* be possible if you get a sleeve to fit it onto the shaft but let it slide. You'd need to press the shift knob straight down to shift (instead of pressing the thumb button on the stock one). The tough part would be restraining the knob so it doesn't lift off the shaft...

If you want to see what I'm talking about, you can remove the stock shifter fairly easily. On the front side, near the bottom of the handle are two screws. Remove those, and it should pull off. You'll see the plastic piece that you have to push down to shift.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

Are there any plug and play options?knowing me,I'd try to do some modifications and fuck something up
    "Sometimes we win, sometimes we learn."

Take heart! It's pretty easy to go back to stock if you mess up a shifter modification:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...-back-to-stock

I modified mine to do an Acura MDX shift knob. Let me see if I still have it lying around. I did a manual swap, so you can have it cheap if you want. You'll need a shift boot to make it look good.

If you search for automatic shift knobs, most have a trigger instead of the thumb button on ours. Here's how the stock one works (view from back):

And here's how most trigger auto shifters work:

The main thing is that you'll need to trim the top of the white plastic stick inside the shaft so that the trigger/button mechanism in an aftermarket knob will still push it down. Usually, it's just cutting for clearance. If you're worried, I'd head to a "pull-it-yourself" junkyard and remove a stock shifter to see how it works and get a spare white plastic stick for insurance.
    Last edited by charris; 11-25-2016 at 09:23 AM

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

Found a knob similar to the one you posted. It's made for automatic shifters; you push it down to shift.

http://www.motor-rhythm.com/shift-kn...-shift-at.html

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post
    Take heart! It's pretty easy to go back to stock if you mess up a shifter modification:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...-back-to-stock

I modified mine to do an Acura MDX shift knob. Let me see if I still have it lying around. I did a manual swap, so you can have it cheap if you want. You'll need a shift boot to make it look good.

If you search for automatic shift knobs, most have a trigger instead of the thumb button on ours. Here's how the stock one works (view from back):

And here's how most trigger auto shifters work:

The main thing is that you'll need to trim the top of the white plastic stick inside the shaft so that the trigger/button mechanism in an aftermarket knob will still push it down. Usually, it's just cutting for clearance. If you're worried, I'd head to a "pull-it-yourself" junkyard and remove a stock shifter to see how it works and get a spare white plastic stick for insurance.
    So I'd cut the angle straight?

"Mechanical Witchcraft" XD I get what you're saying tho, thats smart.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    "Mechanical Witchcraft" XD I get what you're saying tho, thats smart.
    I don't get it Dx

It just means I was too lazy to diagram what happens inside. The angle you cut will depend on the auto shifter you want to put in.

Mine had a mechanism inside so that when you pulled the trigger, it should press straight down on the shaft from the top. So I cut mine flat. Our stock shifters push sideways on the angled surface to make the stick go down, so they have that ~45 degree angle on them.

Do you have an aftermarket shifter already?

No not yet I was holding off

Until I understood what to do to make it work but I think I'll buy one soon and make it work

That's your best bet. Whatever you buy *should* be adaptable, but you'll need something in hand to figure out exactly how to make it work :-)