The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ECU tuning info that may help auto transmission guys

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

ECU tuning info that may help auto transmission guys

Hey guys, Mitsu nerd here. I don't personally own a Galant and I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but I may have some random
    information that could help the guys wanting to have some more tuning power with an automatic transmission. From what I've read, you
    can flash an Evo 8 rom onto your factory ECU and it will work fine for running a 4G64 engine (and maybe the 6G72 with some work on the rom?);
    but this isn't practical for you guys as flashing to an Evo 8 rom removes the TCU data and causes the auto trans to no longer work. SO, has
    anyone tried flashing an Evo VII GT-A rom? It's available here: http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/80700010 I see no reason why it wouldn't work for
    you guys and it should give you a vastly larger amount of engine control and even let you tune your shift points on your auto trans. I haven't
    done a ton of research on it, but I believe some of the tuning gurus like Merlin and Tephra have done some work on the GT-A rom; so you may
    be able to use big maps, speed density, and other tidbits that come with those guy's maps. Hope this is useful to somebody.

So I'm picking this back up a bit. I'm helping a coworker do a DOHC head on his 4G64 powered 8G and eventually also a turbo kit; so I need a good tuning solution.
    Just finished going through the diagrams comparing pinouts. Seems the ECU's are pretty close to the same. My best guess is that you could flash the Evo VII GT-A
    rom and have it work just fine EXCEPT for the wastegate solenoid pin. (If you plan to run at wastegate pressure or run a MBC or EBC then this doesn't even matter)
    With all that said though; if I'm wrong there's a chance you could brick your ECU. Try this at your own risk! Here's the two pinouts for comparison.

Evo VII GT-A

Incomplete 8G 4G64 w/ Auto Trans

A few notes on this pinout. If there was a pin that I didn't have pinout info for I put a line through it with a ? at the end. If there was a pin difference I input the info and put a note in the "Special Attention" box at the bottom right. (Big arrow, can't miss it...)
    And finally, I didn't have any pinout info for pins 101-130; so I left them unchanged and put a note in the special attention area. All that said, I really think this is doable and will be a great tuning solution for you guys! Hope someone finds this useful!